Dressing removed & all revealed!😟

Posted , 16 users are following.

Just persuaded my daughter to remove my dressing for the first time since I returned home and apply a new one (discharged on 21st April) and asked her to photograph my poor old battered knee and so here it is! (Hope you've eaten!)

3 likes, 53 replies

53 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I have a scar you can barely see.  Use Mederma or other skin healing lotion regularly, and if you have any staple marks that are indented, work at them gently but often.  Mine smoothed out beautifully.  Your scar looks Google.
  • Posted

I had my op 8th April, had my staples removed Friday 29th all brilliant 
    • Posted

With a leg like that you'll be back dancing in the chorous line at the follies by summer. Looks like it was done by a master seamstress
    • Posted

How long after your stitches out did you take this picture, Jackie? Very neat. 
  • Posted

Hi Glenda,

glad to hear ur doing well. Leg looks good, I never had staples, so didn't have to go through the taking of them out. All the protocols r so different. But URS does look good, no t oozing or bleeding. 

How r u feeling otherwise?

• Posted

Morning! Not too bad thank you! This time around although my knee looks as swollen I feel much more positive and more relaxed about it! I also feel very relieved that it's all over now as I was SO stressed about having my other knee replaced as my memories of the 2014 had not faded enough and mentally I really just wasn't ready but I very reluctantly went ahead and now I'm happy that it's "done & dusted" apart from the long haul to recovery!😷
    • Posted

Sorry for the delay in responding-must be the drugs! Not feeling as bad as I did with my first TKR, possibly due to this time regularly taking the painkillers, or perhaps it's going to be easier this time around-fingers crossed! The swelling is as bad as before and I have usual lack of sleep etc but this time round I was prepared for that and try and doze during the day!

The clips will be removed this Saturday, then I hope that I might feel more comfortable when I try and bend it! I also have a hydrotherapy session booked at the hospital which I really enjoy and find very helpful to exercise in.

• Posted

You're very lucky to have found hydrotherapy.....it just makes so much sense to me after the scabbing is gone, of course.  
    • Posted

I was actually given my first session in the hydrotherapy pool before I left the hospital last Thursday, so operation on 18th & into their pool on the 21st!

They put large waterproof adhesive dressings on and in you go! Mind you, it's far from like dipping into the public swimming pool down my road as their infection rate is apparently Zero!

• Posted

So glad ur doing better this time round. That is very interesting about getting in the pool so early. Good for you. Ur not even 10 days out and ur getting out of the house! I'm impressed.

keep up the good work, and it's great to hear from you.

i literally, forced myself to go to my exercise class today. I always feel mentally better afterwards. I find that I can baby myself sometimes and ,at around. THIS IS NOT GOOD! So up and out I went , then errands, car wash & vacuum, and now straightening up the house. 

My biggest concern at the moment is my other knee. If I do have to have it done, I will do it in December like last year. I'll consider the recoup a vacation!! Trying to have a good attitude😃 Good luck w/ clip removal.

• Posted

Hi!

To be honest with you with my first TKR it was only my weekly Saturday (my husband used to drive me the 12 miles there)hydrotherapy, then dry land physio sessions that kept me going as by the end of each week I was really depressed and felt very alone. After the sessions, the advice and being able to chat to other TKR recipients I felt really " buoyed up" and ready to face another week.😄 It's hard to keep motivated so I do understand😄

Looking forward to getting rid of the clips as it might help the dreaded bend!

• Posted

Yes, it's amazing how much the interaction w/other TKR helps. And also the socializing. That's why this forum is so helpful.😍
  • Posted

Hi i hurt my knee a week ago iwas draged down the hill buy a trailer 100mtrs i dislocted my knee and tonight i went to move and bend my knee and all was well till my leg went to much my foot tuched my bum and oooo wow the pain in my knee it locked and screemed the house down in the worst pain doctors says its all ok but i dont thinkso all they did was xrays worst pain ever what u think i have burning in my knee nowb
  • Posted

Your incision looks like it's healing very well!  It looks much like mine before staples were removed.  My son said it looked like a centipede on my leg lol. Hope you have a great recovery!
    • Posted

Thanks! Staples have just been removed today and the nurse explained that they apply steri strips as a matter of course and then cover the area a again in case there's any bleeding from where the clips have been removed. I was told that I can remove the covering on Sunday and shower as normal. When the area is completely healed I can apply my Bio oil😄
    • Posted

Glad to hear that u seem to be doing pretty well.😄 Hope it continues

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.