drink and depression

Posted , 11 users are following.

been drinking past 6 months well i say 6 months its been 6 months strait before it was every other day but damn got a bottle of spirit and a crate of beer every day for weeks and weeks now to numb the depression, am a little worried as tomorrow i have no money to get any and i don't know how i am going to react to no drink, i wake up feeling horrid and angry depressed i normally drink then feel more human but can't tomorrow not sure what i will do !!!

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi, remember,

A couple of things:

Firstly, dealing with any issues are in your short term future.  Forget about those for a while.  The most important thing is your immediate heath.  Having no access to alcohol can be very, very dangerous to you.  If your body is so used to alcohol in such quantities then withdrawn should be dealt with as a serious issue.

1. Can you arrange an immediate/same day appointment at your doctors?  Tell him/her how much you have been drinking and for how long, and you should be able to access medication to help make the situation more comfortable, but most importantly of all, this medication with make the situation safe for you.

2. If you absolutely cannot get medical help immediately, then can you access medical care through either ER or A&E (not sure if you are in the States or the UK).  Again, tell them as above - how much and how long and ask for medication to help you.

3.  Failing both of the above, if you notice any change in your health over the coming few days, ring for emergency help immediately.  Do not wait.  Your life might be at risk.

• Posted

Can you use this chance to come off the drink?
    • Posted

Ooops, sorry, I hadn't seen that Joanna had replied, please take her advice, she is brilliant.

• Posted

Thank Pat, but I am no more brilliant than any one else here.  We are all helping others, every time we respond. 

Most all advice on here is good and useful.  My voice is just one amongst many good and caring voices.  We all have something valuable to contribute. biggrin

• Posted

i have a feeling ALL of our advice is just going to make you more nervous..because you either have to have alcohol or a means to withdraw safely from it as Joanna stated already.

i'm sorry you are in this bind.  I hope you can either get to Dr., ER or find someone to borrow money from until you can sad 

• Posted

You are certainly honest and Joanna did a brilliant reply...try to staff off drinking although it must seem too hard...do try and I wish you all the best. Robin
  • Posted

boodly hell. stole a bottle of port from mates mum kitchen and borrowed a bottle of wine. it is offical i must be an alcoholic. i felt as though i was a drug addict or some thing it was and is horrid. get some cash wednesday it will go strait on a bottle of spirit. seems no matter how much i drink it is not enough. the thing is i always hated alcohol i drank it for the effect but disliked it greatly. now it is all i want from waking up to going to sleep i want it all the time.
    • Posted

You are well stuck in a rut, we all have been, so we understand.  It is so hard to not drink - feels impossible at the time.  The best thing you can do is definitely don't stop abruptly.  Just listen intently to the advice on here, for me it is better than any counselling and silly drink diaries.  I have actually conquered it (for good hopefully) only by coming on this site, and I thought I was a lost cause of 40 years daily drinking.

Don't leave this forum - they will sort you out.  I have just read a post from someone from a year ago who was desperate for help for her husband.  She asked for help on a Boxing Day in the morning and she had it later that day.  My goodness, better than ANYTHING your doc or hospital could do.

You will be ok if you stay with us.

Hugs.........G.

• Posted

Thanks for your honesty remember. So you've got some drink, that means you will not be going cold turkey, which can be dangerous as you know. But having faced this situation maybe now is the time to get help. Gos and tell your doctor exactly what you've told us and ask for help. There is lots of info on this site about medical treatment for alcohol use disorder. I suggest you read it carefully so you can discuss options. I wish you all the best.

• Posted

Good for you posting this and sharing your burden with us. I am new on this forum (about a month and a half) and what I can say is that being surrounded by people who have been threw it and understand what you are going through makes a big difference. They do not judge but try to help.

Keep posting and you will find what you need to come out of this stronger and maybe one day not need the bottles anymore.

Rooting for you Remember smile

• Posted

great reply and TRUE...do not ever try to go back...we are all or most of us heavy drinkers...Regards Robin
    • Posted

hi, i never have got to the point were am totally cold turky but i do get a weird feeling now when i havent had it also like an anxiety of not having it. just by pure luck managed to sort out some beer tonight but 10 cans wont touch the sides. how bad is that 10 cans wont do much i remember getting smashed on 10 cans ha a long time ago that. i hope we can all talk on here as i don't have any one to talk to about these thigns and i Don't want to be judges. i know i should stop drinking but my life is so horrific at the moment its the only crutch i got,

• Posted

beer is on its way but i feel crap feel proper dizzy and clammy is that what happens when you have n drink ?
    • Posted

yeah..about right...feeling bad is normal and what can I say to help?? your life is not going well right now...see if tomorrow is better and less drinking?? Robin
    • Posted

what the hell am i to do no matter how much i drink it is not enough. all i want is alcohol am feeling angry i have none. just done 10 cans and am still sober got 20 hours till i can get more.
    • Posted

I cannot help you and you may not like this but try to understand this....i was in deep deep trouble 4 yrs ago and managed to stop....you have reached rock bottom and can only go up...regards Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.