Drinking 1 Litre of spirits at the weekend

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi Guys. 

Hope you are all well and had a nice Christmas, My discussion is, I always drink a litre bottle of spirits at the weekend (Friday and Saturday) sometimes a little more and wonder if it is doing irreversible damage? I don’t drink for 5 days a week and so I am not dependant but it is a habit at the weekends that I do enjoy. The thing is my brother died last year from Liver Cirrosis, he was 37. I understand he drank way more than I have ever done every day for years, but it makes me worry for my own health  I feel like I am getting pains after drinking but don’t know whether it’s because I’m Paranoid now or what!  I lead a healthy life but have a little son that I would never want to leave. 

Any advise would be great

Thanks 

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pearman, I would say that a 1ltr of Spirits over the course of two Days, more or less every Week would be seen as serious Alcohol Abuse Problem in the Eyes of any Medical professional. Is it a problem to you? I would say yes. That 40 odd Units you bosh over 2 Days will be damaging your insides. It is impossible to say how much damage and self repair your liver can handle, but a Liver Function Test might be a good idea? I am also guessing that those pains that you are feeling are not paranoia and your liver is inflamed and trying to tell you to give it a break. You say you don't drink as much as your Brother did before he died, and it's safe to say that no doubt, there was someone that he knew that drank more than him he would think about for reassurance.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. I’m going to do the Usual Dry January and then get a liver test after, that way if they say there is damage I can carry on Dry afterwards. 

Happy New Year. 

Thanks again 

• Posted

Hi Pearman listen carefully to Pistal, he makes absolutely perfect sense. Good on you for saying you will do Dry January but seriously think about knocking your drinking levels down in the long term. Maybe look at the Sinclair Method if you feel you can't cut back on your own ? ..Best wishes for a healthy new year !

• Posted

Hi Pearman. Pistal suggested a liver function and I agree. I stopped due to my young children and definitely killing myself but stopped 31st December 2012. Tomorrow 5 years no drinking. Rethink your life please. Robin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.