Drinking

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have finally come to the end of my desire to drink. When I look back at my life most disappointments stem back to alcohol. I went out to drink on Thursday last and ended up in the hospital. If my work finds out about this I'll lose my job. I want to quit. I'm going to quit. I don't like AA though because my spirituality is special to me and I want it totally divorced from my problems in life. What are the odds of me quitting on my own?

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

hi matthew7979   WLL DONE mate you can do it if you realy want to, i have done it, it wont be easy mate,you will have highs and lows at first more lows than highs, but stick at it, you are going to need every ounce of strenth be determind be stubborn, i take my hat off to you,i wish you much luck in the future

• Posted

Hello Matthew,

You have every chance of quitting alcohol without AA, that is only one option and, while it is very helpful to some people, it doesn't suit everybody.

Your treatment options depend on a few things. Firstly, whether you are physically dependent on alcohol and need an alcohol detox. If you have any withdrawal symptoms, you must NOT stop drinking without medical help. That doesn't mean groups and commitment to any spiritual programme, it simply means medication for a few days to get you off alcohol safely. Send me a private message if you want to chat more about your options.

• Posted

I just would like to say thank you for responding to my post.  I do not think I need any detox.  I am a binge drinker and I can put them away like no one else.  But I do not drink all of the time.  Recently I thought I was getting much better because my drinking was to an extreme minimal.  But after my performance on Thursday, I know that it is much more a problem that I cannot quit ignoring.  So I am going to try to go sober for 6 months and then make it another 6 months.  I hate feeling like I am going to be bound to my house but I may just be for awhile and I need to make peace with that.  I am going to have to take up boxing or martial arts or something.  I lift weights but I need to be able to keep myself extremely busy and quit tired.  I am so hoping I am on the right path.  You know all of the people who dis-friended me becaue of my drinking, I do not blame them.  But, and this sounds harsh, I could also care less about them at the same time.  I need to do this for me and me alone.  Right now I am still feeling weak but I believe I am depressed.  One more day of laing around and then I am going to force myself to once again join the world.  Thanks again.
    • Posted

Well, good luck with it Matthew. Just stay aware that there are other options as well as AA if you find you do need more support. Always happy to have a chat if you send me a private message through here.
    • Posted

R u really helping with options advice... No alcoholic ever had the guts or desire to find a option for them... 

It not a option to quit because every option there will be a excuse....

u can can offer all u can it needs to be in a different context not thru forums.. 

• Posted

don't quit on your own see your GP they will put you on a detox. I too am an alcholic or recovering. This is completely confidental and your work will not find out unless you tell them. It will take the withdrawel syptoms away. Also take up a hobby. I was so embrassed by my addiction that I hid bottles everywhere. I eventually seen my GP who was supportive I have been off alcohol for 8 days and work knows nothing off it. Do not quit your job this will make the situation worse ask for a sick line for a week if you feel the need keep busy and keep your chin up. As stupid as this sounds after the detox meds it's in your mind stay away from the bar for a coupe of weeks or more. You can do it I didn't do AA as not my cup of tea and I would feel uncomfortable
    • Posted

Hello,

Thanks for your words of support. My job did not find out so it should be okay and it's been 11 days since I've had alcohol. For me as a binge drinker it's not today or tomorrow so much as I worry about next week or next month. But I guess that is why they say one day at a time. I really would like to try dating sober. It sounds scary and awesome all at the same time. 

• Posted

Have u ever Ben without dependency on alcohol?

u know that what UR doing now is not working the fear of never having a drink again or becoming accountable for UR behavior tells the whole story

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.