Drinking alcohol and glandular fever

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all, im on month 9 of glandular fever and finally doing so much better! I'm having at least 3 or 4 good days a week now! I still have bad days with fatigue & bad muscle ache but have improved so much in the last month. I have not drank alcohol for 4 months now and honestly think it has helped with my recovery so much, however, its coming up to the christmas period and my birthday and im wondering whether i'm ready to slowly re-introduce alcohol again! I'm also 23 years old and used to be very socialble and a party girl, so i'm keen to get back to normal, however, fear alcohol will trigger a relapse. What are people's experiences with alcohol and glandular fever?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I haven't touched any alcohol for the whole 9 months, so can't advise. I think it's one if those things where only yourself can tell. I have read on here it sets people back and the hangovers are ten times worse, but there is a few others that have the odd glass and don't suffer. For me, I have a dull ache feeling in my head constantly and feel a bit detached from reality in my head, so can't think alcohol would help me, so I'm staying well clear until I'm ready. Might have a bucksfizz on Christmas day, but with extra orange juice.

• Posted

Definitely a wise approach Dodge that you've managed to avoid alcohol for 9 months, a tremendous achievement - I'm sure on bucksfizz on Christmas day will do no harm, of course just about continuing to being wise, it's not easy to be so disciplined I know especially for people who enjoy a drink - I think you, Jess, Lori and everyone on the site has been doing really well with this though and deserve a pat on the back!!

Craig

• Posted

My doctor advised me to stay away from alcohol for at least 6 months, since your liver and spleen are typically already compromised with mono.

If you are feeling perfectly fine, I'd say you are safe. If you are still having 2-3 bad days a week, I'd hold off.

I'm no doctor though. You could always ask your doctor to do bloodwork and see how your liver is functioning.

• Posted

i think you will be fine ..as long as you dont drink too much ! what ive learned about this virus is that it has its own timeline. before i got it i worked out everyday..... hard ! all i ate was veg healthy foods not a massive drinker ...so go figure.

if youre feeling well go and enjoy yourself !

• Posted

Hi Jess,

That is really good to hear that you are seeing improvement and progress, so pleased to hear that! And definitely want to reassure and encourage you that the fatigue and muscle aches will fade and disappear completely with time - I had a bad episode of joint and muscle pain around 9 months, and looking back I think it was a final push of my body kicking this thing out, as it was around 10 months I started to see real breakthrough and progress towards full recovery. Don't get me wrong still took a little while to get my confidence and full strength / body resilience back again, that can be normal Jess but truly I believe, given my own recovery experience (thanks to God only), you will get to the stage of 7 good days per week with a little more time.

Just take things slowly and don't push things too much in the next few months for sure. It's difficult for me to comment on the alcohol thing as I've never been much of a drinker really, but certainly would urge caution and most definitely avoid any excessive in takes of alcohol or anything during recovery - last thing would want is to cause any set backs and it's really good you've managed to avoid alcohol this last while - a great achievement.

Thinking of you Jess and hoping for a peaceful, joyful, happy and healthy Christmas for you and your loved ones - you certainly deserve it after such a tough time you've been through with this virus this year.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.