Drinking alcohol whilst on mirtazapine?

Posted , 12 users are following.

So it says it is best to avoid alcohol whilst taking mirtazapine.....would this be avoid alcohol completely or avoid excessive drinking? What is the effect of drinking alcohol whilst taking mirtazapine?

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I had this same question for my GP. I'm on 15mg of mirtazapine at bedtime. Not a big drinker but during the summer I like to have a drink while camping. My doctor said every body reacts differently and really the only way I'd know was to sip on 1 drink.I have found what works best for me is to limit alcohol to 2 drinks spread out over several hours. I always make sure my last drink is finished at least two hours before I take my mirtazapine.I wouldn't suggest drinking in excess and certainly never drive! From what I understand too much booze with mirt can effect coordination and balance (more that you'd experience without meds) and possibly intensify the sedating effect of the drug. So, my advice, depending on your size, have a one or two drink limit and finish it way before you're due to take your meds.
  • Posted

I'd asked the chemist if I could have a drink whilst on mirt. They said I could have a glass of wine with my meal
  • Posted

Thanks both for your replies smile. Yeah I'm going to avoid drinking excessively but wondered whether a few drinks would be ok. I was on citalopram over christmas and new year and had a few drinks then, but then the effects of mirtazapine are very different. I am fairly small and i'm on 30mg mirtazapine before bed. I guess I should ask my GP/a chemist like you did.
  • Posted

I drink moderately whilst on mirtazapine with no adverse effects. I was very cautious at first and completely cut out alcohol for a few months. But once I felt settled and happy on the drug I started drinking alcohol again.
  • Posted

Hi,

I am on 45g of Mitz and have been for a about 3 months. (after trying a variety of other drugs for my depression; I started on a low dose and gradually built up)

Most the concerns about alcohol and Mizt seem to be based around drowziness, but as I take my meds last thing at night I decided I would try a glass or two of wine in the evenings. I don't seem to have any problems mixing drink & Mitz. I don't drink every night but most nights I will have at least one glass. I have even had as much as a whole bottle in an evening and still no adverse side effects .....-just the usual hangover the following day ;-)

All I would say is if you haven't mixed the two, then best start with a small glass of your usual tipple and see how you get on. Everyone is different so you are the best judge of whether or not to drink and Mitz.

BTW:My GP suggested taking Mitz at night to aid sleep and it does seem to have a small positive effect on that.

• Posted

I had the same concern when I started taking the same dose at night, and my Doctor said it would be ok to have a couple. I had a bottle of wine a few nights ago and I have to say I didnt notice much of a difference at the time. The only effect that I noticed was that I slept for 10 hours straight! Although, from various forums it effects everyone differently so its definitely best to check with a professional.

Hope this helps.

• Posted

Thanks for all your experiences, i did end up trying starting with a small glass of wine one night and it ruined me, so giving the wine a miss most of the time.
  • Posted

I have been taking mirtazapine 30 mg nightly for anxiety/insomnia for about 2 years. The major cause for concern with mirtazapine and alcohol is respiratory depression during sleep. However this is not a problem with moderate consumption (moderate being 2-3 drinks for men, 1-2 for women.) 

That being said, I have 6-10 drinks every other saturday and skip my dose for that night. 

• Posted

I lose my balance and am also not a heavy drinker.

I am on 50mg of Mertazapine night and morning.

I do not find a little alcohol makes any difference to me.

• Posted

Hello,

I have been on 15mg mirtz for 2 months now and started it for my Major Depression and Anxiety. I heavily drink most weekends and just miss that nights dose of mirtz. I havent felt a difference what so ever. Although I have never tried taking mirtz at the same time as drinking.

• Posted

Can alcohol imbibed a couple of hours before taking mirtazapine cause giddiness/ dizziness the next day? 
  • Posted

I’m on 15mg of mirtazapine at night and I’ve only been on it a week. I’m not a heavy drinker by any means. I have a capful of vodka from a small bottle (350ml bottle size) and have that with a can and a half of Diet Pepsi over the course of the evening. I make sure I leave at least 2 hours between finishing the drink and taking my mirtazapine. On Saturday whilst out shopping I had a dizzy spell in Morrisons where everything kept going black. I had been very agitated and anxious that morning, so I don’t know if it was related to that or the combination of the alcohol and mirtazapine the previous evening however I’d had a drink a couple of nights before again with the two hour gap between the alcohol and mirtazapine and no il effects (no dizziness either). I know you shouldn’t drink whilst on antidepressants but my anxiety and stress levels have been through the roof and the alcohol did “smooth out the edges “ a little 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.