Drinking and Blood pressure

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi guys

Currently a pretty bad binge drinker (drink 4 nights out of 3) and drink heavy.

Today i had a health check and found out i have high blood pressure. I'm 37 and need to shift some weight.

Its clear the booze is causing the high blood pressure but im struggling to shake the craving.

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hello,

Having high blood pressure is normal when one drinks a lot. This has happened to me too. I am a binge drinker of none stop drinking 3 or 4 days but then i dont drink anything for a month or two, but I do get bad withdrawls when i detox from one of those binge relapses. Have you tried Selincro before? it cuts the alcohol desire to drink a lot as it blocks the endorophines alcohol gives your brain. This could help you cut down on the drinking. Maybe going cold turkey is not the right solution for you, as i know its not easy. Have you spoken to your doctor about this? There is always a solution and I do recommend Selincro, although some of the side effects may be temporarily unpleasant. Hope this helps. X

• Posted

Thank you for the reply x i'm going back to the doctors next thursday for another BP Test. I'm planning to drop my drinking down to 2 nights only so will see if it helps with the blood pressure

• Posted

Hello Chesca,

I agree with you. Thanks for sharing a useful idea.

• Posted

Hi leavesley. How are you keeping? Drinking under control? Robin

• Posted

Hi Robin

I'm fine thanks how are you?

Still drinking but having more periods in between, gone back to weekend only.

• Posted

Looks better to me since you are drinking less and not so often. Some people here would show how many units per week or day and total per month. Perhaps you could do this for your own benefit and you do not have to tell us if you do not want to. I never did this since i was ashamed of how much i was drinking 7 years ago! Massive amounts and up to a bottle of vodka 70cl overnight! Two or three times a year. Most days wine or cider. Stopped 6 yrs 5 months ago and not going back. You can do it๐Ÿ˜ƒ Robin

• Posted

hi Leavesley

Yes whilst its true alcohol can cause high blood pressure, its not the only culprit.

Life changes like bereavement, partner/spouse breakup and moving house being the three most stressful changes. These can cause undue stress, which can result in high blood pressure.

Even sitting worrying just before having your blood pressure taken can make some people, especially those suffering health anxiety issues, give a higher than normal result. Thats why the dr or nurse usually takes three readings and records the best of them.

I am no dr and i am certainly not saying alcohol isnt the cause. Just saying how life changes and also weight problems can cause high blood pressure.

• Posted

Drinking too much alcohol can cause blood pressure to dangerous levels. Having more than three drinks on a daily basis many times increases blood pressure. So dear I personally request you to control this habit before you get attacked by any big disease.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.