Drinking and Methotrexate

Posted , 5 users are following.

I'm curious to peoples opinions on this. I'm in the US and the guidelines are so strict compared to the UK. I'm on once a week 7.5 mg. I have cut back to only a couple drinks on the weekend. I just want to be able to drink or have a drink when I want. I'm tempted to switch drug so I can enjoy some drinks more often!

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I was told no drinking at all but did anyway.  No problems arose from doing so and blood tests always looked good.  As of this week I am stopping methotrexate due to hair loss/thinning.  I’m now going to start on enbrel in the next week or so.  Not sure if that helps.
  • Posted

I am in the U.S. also and have only been on mtxe 2.5 mg 3 tabs once a week for 2 weeks. I have had fleeting nausea and very satisfied because I was very skeptical about taking it. But if it does the trick, i.e. WORKS then I’m all in. 

As far as a drink, well, I am more concerned about being pain free & hopefully stopping progression of the disease. If that means not drinking I’ll do that too. I can’t quite understand your need for a drink over healing so that is certainly your right. Just doesn’t make sense to me. From the ppl I have talked with there are many treatments/drugs for RA but it can be hit or miss. All individuals are different and it may take awhile to find out what works. You mentioned Embrel and I do know someone who does the infusion. He takes it for ankylosing spondylitis & has gotten relief. It’s very expensive & most insurance doesn’t cover it at 100%.  It is approx. $2300 for 4 kits. Humera is also very expensive. Anything newer you can expect to be more than that. 

Directions on a prescription are for your protection. Ask your pharmacist & see what they say. 

• Posted

Hey TC,

This was my main concern when I started taking methotrexate, but actually, other concerns became more pressing.

Do some research.  I found one study from some time ago that suggested alcohol should not be taken with meth.  Often that's all it takes, after all they're health professionals and they're not supposed to make us sick!  I was on 5mg weekly, and to start with I had no alcohol.  Then I had a glass or two of wine, and any more than that made me feel a bit queasy, so I thought that was my limit.  Because of previous drug interaction problems I was having weekly blood tests (FBC, liver and kidney) so I could monitor if things were going wrong.  After a while a started to drink a bit more (I'm not talking every night all the time, maybe twice a week) and everything continued to be fine.

I'm not saying it's all fine and ok.  Alcohol is not especially good for anyone!  Do some research online and make your own decision.  Received wisdom seems to be that it's a bad idea to drink on the day you take the meth, which makes sense, but if you take your meth on a tuesday, say, then some drinks at the weekend could be ok.  I managed some adequate weekend drinking without any problem.  Having said that, after 6 months I got taken off it because the bad side effects outweighed the treatment benefit, so my experience was short term.

There are other immunosupressants that allow drinking fine (though of course your liver may not agree!!).  I had ciclosporin for some years which was ok and no side effects.

How long have you been on the meth?  How are you finding it?

x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.