Drinking as something to do...

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I'm new to this forum and could do with some imput.

I've been worried about my drinking for a while. I initially was drinking too much because I had undiagnosed GAD, and I did try and address this when I was finally diagnosed.

I have moved recently, and because I have moved away from my social network, I'm finding I'm drinking most days out of boredom/loneliness, although the amount may vary from one or two drinks or an entire bottle of wine.

I kind of need some advice/help

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Welcome Sophie. No family and friends and two drinks leads to a bottl e which I understand. Any other activities possible, gym or something diiferent, i.e dance lessons? Just wondering.
  • Posted

Hi Sophie

Yes Robin is correct. You need to get online and see whats happening in your area. There's always societies and activities you can get involved in.

Don't let the drink become the norm.

Let us know how you get on

Kindest Regards

JulieAnne

• Posted

Hi both

Thanks for the replies. I have joined a gym, but due to some difficulties sleeping, and writing my thesis around a full time job, I've been finding I am too tired/unmotivated to go

But thanks for the advice, I do think I need some other activities to do

• Posted

Hi Sophie , Robin and JulieAnne are both right you need to find some new activities and friends and not use alcohol to alleviate boredom . There are some excellent youtube meditations to help you drift off to sleep.I use them a lot and they are a real help.You are obviously very aware of the dangers of drinking getting out of hand but take JA's advice and dont let it become the regular norm.We are all here if you need anymore help x?

• Posted

Hi Nat

thanks for the advice! I've started playing the sims again on my computer, and signed up to a penpal website - it's not much but baby steps and all that. But yes, I think I need to avoid getting into the habit of drinking because I'm bored, and find some more fun, healthier things to do

And thanks for the tips for youtube meditation - i think i really need that at the moment!

• Posted

Sounds really positive Sophie Remember every journey has to start somewhere so you are taking strides.Enjoy the meditations, I think they really do help .Take care
    • Posted

Morning Nattie - which youtube would you recommend.  There are so many and an awful lot of them I don't like the speaking voice.  I am trying to find one with a soothing voice.  Thanks hun x

• Posted

Morning Gwennie , some of the voices are soooo grating and that's no good.I like Lauren Ostrowski , she has a gentle Australian accent .Put a search in for 'Fall asleep meditation ' and she should come up or search by name . I also find her 'Falling asleep after a difficult day' really good , there's a personal touch about her .Linda Grace is another but Lauren sends me to sleep most nights these days ... give them a try hun and hopefully you will get some zzzzz's 😴😴x

• Posted

Ps that should have said Lina Grace . Another I like is Andrew Johnson 'Deep Sleep' a nice crunchy Scottish Accent lol

• Posted

Hi Sophie

That's great to hear. Baby steps, I think, are the hardest. There are good people on this forum Sophie, they helped me when I was very down.

Hi Nat hi Gwennie xx

Regards

JulieAnne x

• Posted

Hi JA hope you are all good.Will catch up with you properly soon.Time just flys ..this site is a blessing to so many xx
    • Posted

Got it Natts - Andrew sounds like a nice bowl of comforting cereal  lol x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.