Drinking becoming too much

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am not a regular drinker, but when I do drink, I always go over the top, without fail, I have a lovely girlfriend but can see in her eyes that she is slowly giving up hope, I have cut down how much I go out but when I do, like I said I have been I trouble with the police for drink driving and really can't control myself when I'm out, it's like I get taken over, I am committing to stopping drinking all together as I that is the only way I can see things getting better

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Lee

I do understand and can emphathise with your situation . Can I ask how old you are ?

Im 43 and have lost count of all the times I have said to myself , now ! tonight wont be like the last time . Im going to stay in controll !!!!! Of course I never stay in control . I even distraced myself at a family party at xmas infront of everyone and swore at my son for helping me !

Have you spoken to your girlfriend about how you feel ? If you have a strong relationship then perhaps you could make a plan together . Personally , in the beginning it may be worth avoiding certain situations where you know you may see other friends etc that are heavy drinkers ?

Getting to the stage of losing control and getting behind the wheel of a car really is a serious concern for you to question

I hope this helps a little smile

• Posted

Yes I'm 29, I can have evenings where it all goes to plan but it I'm honest they are few and far between, I just can't control myself, I drink too quick, I know what I have is an alcohol related illness of some sort and I have said to myself that today is the day ias my girlfriend deserves me at my best all the time, how do you moderate yourself or have you decided to stop?
    • Posted

Hello again Lee

I agree with Anthony . Allow time with your girlfriend . Concerntrate on whats important . If you feel that alcochol is causing a problem with simple just you and your girl then maybe look into it more but if its a case of having too much on a night out then really consider making a few changes in that way .

Its great you have made that stand today , well done . Your girlfriend obviously means the world to you . Be kind to yourself also . We all make mistakes .

I made a decision a few days ago that is already changing my life . I have cut my alcohol level down night by night , am eating very well and I tell you what , I'm feeling so much better and laughing more smile

My issues are different to yours Lee but stick with a positive head and just carry on doing your best , good luck smile 

• Posted

I like alchohol, have an extremely high tolerance for it, so, most times, I do not touch it. Yet I will go out and party, dance and have a great time. My friends and family only find in me one REALLY annoying factor... I do not drive. Why not have a quiet enjoyable tipple at home with your lass and go out another night and give the girl your full attention, finishing with a leasurely and very safe drive home. Your self esteme will be 100% and rightly so. Funny stuff alchohol, it makes you thirsty, so you drink more, but if you leave it alone for another, safe, time you will enjoy it a great deal more and, funnily enough, you will drink less.  Best, Tony
  • Posted

Dude you need to change your attitude to booze,you now realise it controls you so you need to be its master not its slave

Get ye behind me satan!!

• Posted

Hi, 

i can so sympathise with you as this is exactly me, I have no answer as I haven't found it but my lovely hubby is taking me cinema this Saturday instead of our local, wish me luck maybe trying to avoid the drinking culture is a start? I'll let you know how it goes!! Good luck, there's no worse feeling than the morning after oh if we could bottle that!! Let us know how you get on 

much love 

• Posted

Lee, search 'Nalmefene.' That is a drug which you take before drinking and it stops you wanting to drink as much. Over time, if you take it before every time you drink, it will help you get back to normal drinking.

The Only alternative is not to drink at all.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.