Drinking beer or wine.

Posted , 11 users are following.

Week 10 and 2 rounds of antibiotics every time i think i'm feeling better one day the next day i'm reminded by pain that i have this monster called diverticulitis. i'm started to get really p****d off that i can't enjoy food anymore. I'm sick of potatoes, chicken and white fish. My birthday is coming up and we are to go out for dinner and drinks with friends. i don't want to go because i can never find anything on the menu i can eat. i haven't had a drink but i'm assuming you can't do that either. I'm not a bid drinker but do like on an occasion to have a few beers or wine. Has anyone been able to drink anything? i know i'm feeling sorry for myself and I've tried to be strong but now I'm just p****d off. Thanks for listening to my rant. 

'm

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I hear you!  I have only had one round of antibiotics and am into week 7 of this marathon.  Eating all the rice, chicken etc has not helped.  I did fluids only for three days then low residue for two weeks. Nothing helped. Am back to eating more or less normal diet. There is little differnce so i figure i might as well eat food i enjoy. I only have pain right before a bm. These are freqent and totally unformed. Have you started to add fibre back to your diet yet?
  • Posted

Hi *m

I too am 3 months out from a 3 week attack for spastic colon.  I go July 5th for scoping both ends.  Doc said stop all fiber, dairy, red meats, chocolate, limited coffee of which I only have one cup each morning.  I'm on a anti-spastic med, but I find that if I happen to miss my pill before a meal, the snarling ache comes back, but not severe (just a reminder he's still out there)!   When I go out for dinner, I like to have a pomegranate light martini, but I'm really don't want the bad ache to come back so I'm staying away from all alcohol.  I've been keeping a log each day of what I eat and if it aches after what I at that meal.  I can go 3 days now without an ache, but every few days it sneaks up on me just as it does with you.  I don't want the scopes, but to figure this out . . . . . I must do it.  Know that you are not alone.  I like to spend a lot of time outdoor working with flowers which is what I need to relax and also walk my 2 doodles.  This IS made worse by stressing you know.  So, the more you stress over not being able to have an alcoholic drink, will upset your colon.   

• Posted

I do okay if I have a drink as long as I don’t eat a lot of food as well. Wine seems worse for me then regular alcoholic drinks but I imagine everyone is different. I am 18 months since my intital diagnosis and trip to the ER and it does get easier but eating has become more of a challenge then an enjoyment. It is frustrating. 
  • Posted

Hi Linda yes i totally agree with you im feeling exactly the same, with this horrible D.D, makes me very depressed im 76 this time last year i was a fit woman today ive now lost 4stone fed up with people saying how ill i look, im seeing a dietician in june been wating since jan, fed up with not knowing what i can eat, really scared to, thankfully not had a flare up, im living on bland food, however i did go to a party last week had 2 glasses of wine it was ok had a bit of acid reflux, i don,t go out very much these day,s in case of having a accident, ive just applied for a card to be able to go in any shop toilets, so if i was you have a drink as we are all differt, all we want is to be guided better but sadly our medical drs just don,t have any answers for us D.D suffers, go and enjoy yourself we only live once take care
  • Posted

Hi Linda. I have had thesevere form of Diverticulitis for 13 or so years. I eat a more or less normal diet excpt I try to avoid fish following a terrible sickness after eating sword fish (a top predator) in the Med in the  early 80s. On alcohol I do not have a problem with any drink. I was given what I consider was aexcellent advice by my Dr. These were that unit limits were a bogus science and everybody has a different tolerance to alcohol. Never have a so much as to have hangover. Too much alcohol causes gastritis which can inflame gut irritation. Always have 2 or 3 days alcohol free a week. With nsome antibiotics you cannot drink any alcohol but this is highlighted in the drug literature. When I am not drinking say an off day or perhaps I am driving I dring soda water which I find quite satisfactory. Good luck and take car.
  • Posted

I had cramps after drinking Kalua, but no trouble after Whisky or cognac.
  • Posted

Hi Linda, you kinda sound like me. Go to your dinner party. Celebrate another year to be alive, be happy about it l. Maybe in time ahead see what you can order and have some beer or wine. I had some beer on mother’s day just cause I said oh well I feel miserable anyway I’ll minus well enjoy it and celebrate. I went to see my doctor this past Monday and he told me you can eat ANYTHING you want. Even seeds and I was like wow Is he joking?? But he was not of course I did not listen to him why because I’m arraid of everything. I’ve been trying a little of everything at a time. Right now my best friends are chicken, Romain lettuce, cesar dressing peaches and mandarines. I had like 7 wings grilled Two weeks ago. Cream of chicken soup some whole wheat muffins, I also ate cheeses stuffed raviolis just one and a little bit of marinara sauce. All bodies are different but you need to try a little bit. Let’s not be miserable and just learn to live with it. I have pain every day and don’t know if it’s normal or not. I just monitor not to have a fever or really really bad pain. I am here for you with actually with same diagnosis. My colonoscopy is on June 4th and hopefully they tell me the swelling has gone down and that it hasn’t gotten worst. I am 35 and I am on my first 29 days of Diverticulitis.  First week was the worst time of my life. I know I can’t beat it but I am

Glad I can control it (hopefully crossing fingers) . 

• Posted

Hi Dan. Sounds like the way to go!  Basically you can eat whatever you can tolerate.. I haven’t tried any wine yet, but my wine tasting group meets next week so will see how it goes!! Good luck with the colonoscopy.  Hope it is good news!
  • Posted

Hi. Linda

I haven't had any issues with beer or wine, as long as I'm not in the middle of a flare up. Go ahead, have a couple and enjoy your birthday.

• Posted

diverticulitis is a barstard disease  i was ill for 6 months and lost 3 stone, had a colostomy op in march and all though its hard to get used too i now have my life back and can eat a nd drink again, speak to your gp abt this op   good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.