Drinking every night?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi guys I drink every night pretty much without fail, been doing this for a few years. I usually drink about 4 cans of beer, rarely any more. I just enjoy the initial relaxed feeling and then the feeling of being a bit drunk and look forward to the evening to have my cans, I don't crave alcohol through the day, I never drink before 7pm. Some people I talk to say I have a problem and others say they do a similar thing and function fine. Personally I am a bit fuzzy headed when I wake up (not a headache but just a bit of dizziness) but this subsides by lunchtime. Other than that I feel ok. So what do you guys think?

Thanks.

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

• Posted

Stop drinking daily definitely it does not take long do develope serious liver problems I drank similar for almost 8 years and am having symptoms of liver disease I've quit it's a very scary and life shortening thing to play odds against your liver

• Posted

Welcome Gareth. Best to stop a couple of days per week and also drink less. Best if you can stop completely 😁

• Posted

Hi Gareth, I did try to go evening's without wine just couldn't do it without the help of Nalmefene. It kinda sneaks up on you takes control before we realise were hooked. I so want to be back in control. I was away in Edinburgh to watch Swan Lake I drank so much I barely kept my eyes open to see it how sad is that. It's early days for me with the drug but the weekend showed me booze is still in control. I've been so I'll today could barley eat couldn't drink if you paid me to.. maybe this will teach me a lesson.

• Posted

I feel your pain...me too; same thing.... what I finally learned: STOP BLAMING MYSELF AND REMEMBER TOMORROW IS ANOTHER DAY! Always go forward and be mindful, get involved and take 50mg Naltrexone 1 hour prior to drinking; TSM. IT WORKS!

PLEASE watch ONE LITTLE PILL documentary by C Three foundation...life changing and a sad statement about our medical 'industry'! My position in this damn society prevents me from being right now 'open' so I've decided to take my 1 month vacation shortly back home in Hawaii. I need ALONE time in a wonderful place.

Get away from all 'normal' situations and change of pace if you can. Stay away from friends etc. who promote the habit. That is my goal! Never ever thought I'd be in this situation....I have no family etc. so it makes things a bit more 'sad'. You all make me feel HOPE...THANK YOU!

• Posted

We are all in the same boat sailing towards sobriety.
  • Posted

These replies are awful!!!!
    • Posted

Maybe Ruth is not yet ready to make a decision. When reality hits you upside the head, you have to reflect what path is right for you. It took me some time until I finally said enough. I am in this for life and I'm not as successful as some who find immediate relief and dramatically cut down after the first day. So it is a process and I thank GOD for the C Three Foundation and TSM. Day by day....these replies are FANTASTIC!

• Posted

I would have been the first to judge someone with a drink problem until it took hold of me it's like depression you don't understand if you've never experienced. It truly is a illness, I too thank God for the TSM. Being a functional drinker we become very good at hiding it, as my kids have started to make comments it's time to put them first. Wine can't control me forever.

• Posted

I'm so sorry I was in bad way and clearly didn't read things properly x

• Posted

I am dedicated but not necessarily very successful. I can slip up even though only 3 weeks. I have noticed for my body, 1 hour is not enough time for Nal to take affect. I must take it 1.5 hours before a drink and even then be mindful.
  • Posted

Thanks for the replies guys. Had drinks last night and bought some more for tonight, I just can't seem to give up, just really enjoy a few drinks. I don't think it helps my sleep though - can get to sleep just fine when drunk but wake up after about 3 or 4 hours unable to get back to sleep. When I quit drinking I lay awake all night. Then the next night its back on the booze. Vicious circle.

• Posted

I always had a short nights sleep drinking and when I quit I was up all night alot of the time took about 3 weeks to finally get decent sleep but well worth it. It's hard to break the cycle I know but even if you can go a couple days without your doing your body a big favor

• Posted

I see your point its just the zero amount of sleep that puts me off. It's a relief to get in bed and go straight to sleep within minutes in stead of tossing and turning for hours or all night, though I suppose with alcohol it's more like being in a coma for a few hours and not natural to just pass out like that.

• Posted

I used to wake up in the night when I stopped. Slept better when drunk or partly drunk..yes this is a vicious circle...
    • Posted

It is. Last week I tried one night with no alcohol. I did not sleep a wink. I was actually up since 4am the previous day so went about 40 hours with no sleep. I couldn't deal with another night of no sleep so I bought more booze and I got a full 8 hours which is unlike me, I probably would have slept longer because of the sleep deprivation but I live in an apartment which is poorly sound proofed so when someone else gets up who lives with me makes noise in the kitchen even that can jolt me up.

• Posted

Ever thought of taking a very low dose of something like valium? IThe lack of sleep is alcohol withdrawal...it can take a few days to withdrawal but with TSM as you cut down on intake you are actually withdrawing slowly.
    • Posted

Hi, I so get what you are saying.  This is, and has been, my problem for years.  I love to sleep after a bottle of wine.  Like you say, within minutes.  I have tapered down now for several months from 2 bottles of wine a night to 2 small glasses Monday to Friday or Saturday.  But I only get 2 hours sleep at most.  By Sunday, I am so foggy and I get my words mixed because I can't think straight as I am so tired.  Come Sunday, I will have a bottle and sleep so well and feel refreshed again for Monday.  It is such a nightmare, but I do love the fact that I have not got alcohol running through my body all the time and the fact that I can get in the car and go for a long drive with my music because I know I have no alcohol in my system.  Tried hypnotherapy and sleep aids (natural) but no help.  One day I hope to conquer it and then I will be a happy bunny.

You have my sympathies as do a few others of us on here with the sleep problem.

All the best to you.

G.

• Posted

I haven't felt well for a few dsys normally I'd still drink. I'm the opposite I'm sleeping the clock around I'm not able to train as normal I'm worried the Nalmefene has been blocking my antidepressants as this was my behaviour before I was diagnosed with depression. What's your thoughts could it be blocking too much.

• Posted

I have tried a antihistamine called phenergan which does work but it takes over an hour to kick in but I do sleep around 6 hours when they begin to take effect. I take 50mg, some people do well on 25mg but that's not enough to sedate me. Maximum dosage for sleep is 75mg. Side effects next day are very dry mouth and feeling groggy even into the afternoon but they are not addictive. I have also been given Zopiclone by my doctor but I haven't even tried them yet. They are supposed to be even stronger than phenergan but they don't leave you groggy. However they can be addictive. Not sure I want to go from being addicted to alcohol to sleeping pills.

• Posted

I think wine gives me a better sleep than beer, last night I woke up after 3 hours needing the bathroom, but luckily I got back to sleep. When I have drank a bottle of wine I am out cold for about 6 hours, seems like beer makes me want to pee a lot. But I see where you are coming from. Sleep deprivation is awful, and makes you feel like crap. A full nights sleep is one of lifes pleasures. I cant remember the last time I had 8 hours uninterrupted sleep.
    • Posted

8 hours - that would be amazing.  Same with me on the wine, makes me sleep far better than beer - too much loo running in the night.  To sleep well is a gift - may we one day be bestowed with it smile

G.

• Posted

Yes I hope so too. Definitely beer makes me need the loo a lot, I think because a bottle of wine is only around 750ml of liquid but if I drink my usual 4 cans of beer this totals 2000ml! Easy to see why the bladder gets effected. Also wine has another advantage over beer for sleep in that it contains melatonin. I don't think beer has much if any at all. Probably drinking a lot of cider has the same result as beer.

• Posted

I have had some sessions with a Kinesiologist for tummy probs/anxiety/insomnia - she recommended Melatonin to take for sleep.  I have bought them from my health store but not yet had any. Not sure if they will upset my gastritis.  But she says she has tried them herself and they will work to calm you and send you into a calming sleep.  What a lovely thought.
    • Posted

Well if you take them I hope they work for you. I haven't taken the Zopiclone that my doctor has given me, I think I am afraid they won't work which will send me into panic mode if I just lay there haha. Eventually though I will have to bite the bullet and try them (obviously with no alcohol as taking both can send you into an almost comatose state)

• Posted

A very good reply. You are very cautious which is good and you have a plan.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.