Drinking everyday. Don't know what to do anymore

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have never posted on one of these forums before as i have always been to scared too. but i usually read them regularly when my health anxiety kicks in. I'm a 20 year old male and my drinking has been daily since I was 18 I started of having a couple of pints a day then moved on to 3 or 4 beers less some days more on others. For about the last 8 months I have been drinking about 7 pints a night or the equivalent in bottles.  I  realise I have a problem now . I managed to have a couple of days without drinking about 3 times over the last couple of months. but the last three weeks have been worse. now I can't seem to manage even a day. I get restless and i cant wait for my first drink. The urge is strong to drink as it helps with my anxiety and makes me feel so much more relaxed and confident. I'm scared iv already done serious damage as I feel so run down and have brain fog with pains in my stomach. Every little ache and pain makes me think im extremly ill worrying about my liver etc.and I don't know what to do anymore. Any advice would be appreciated. Sorry about the long post

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

• Posted

Okay, you haven't been drinking long enough to do any permanent damage.

Obviously you would need a GP to do tests or see you to confirm any problems.

But at a guess, you feel run down because you are not eating well and the reason you are not eating well is because you have no appetite because your body is getting all the calories it needs from alcohol.

The pains in your stomach maybe from mild gastritis where the alcohol has stripped your stomach lining away.

Brain fog will be trhough lack of vitamins, caused by not eating properly, not being able to absorb them through the stomach because of the gastritis and the alcohol washing them out of the system - vitamin B is water soluble.

All of this will be rectified when you either stop or bring your drinking down to normal levels.

The reason you can't stop drinking is, that you may have become physically dependent on it and you have probably become neurologically depedent on it.

There is a medication used on The Sinclair Method (TSM). I have a link somewhere, but by the time I find it, someone else will have posted it.

Right, that will give you some pointers to start with.

• Posted

Thank you for the reply. ill have a look into that sinclair method. I think you might be right about me being physicalIy addicted i feel really restless and feel sweaty and on edge without a drink if that makes sense. I had a liver function test about 6 months ago and an ultrasound and everything came back clear but my anxiety is constantly making me think the worst rolleyes
    • Posted

'i feel really restless and feel sweaty and on edge without a drink if that makes sense'

Yes, that is classic physical addiction. You need to think about tapering down or asking (difficult) your GP if he'll prescribe you a box of diazepam (Valium) so that you can home detox.

• Posted

Tom, here's a link to a page that mentions it and a site that has more info:

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/useful-resources-487627

There's also a video to watch if you Google:

Claudia Christian TEDx talk

I was at around 9 pints a day when I started it. Since about the middle of last summer I've been within low-risk drinking limits and no more than 3 standard drinks in a day. Usually just one or two with most of my days being dry. Beer used to be my world, now I'm mostly indifferent to it.

• Posted

Thanks for replying I'll have a look at the links you sent

• Posted

How are you doing? Still drinking with moderation? It would be great to hear from you
  • Posted

Hiya

As RHGB has said you have the classic symptoms of physical addiction to  alcohol.

They are also the symptoms of chronic anxiety which I suffered very badly from. Alcohol was my way of relieving my anxiety. It took a long time for me to realise that alcohol was making my anxiety worse. At its worst, it affected my speech so badly that I actually sounded drunk as my speech was so slurred. Even my gp, whose also a friend was convinced I was wasted when I couldn't speak properly.

I got sent home from work twice, got two written warnings for turning up drunk, when in fact it was chronic anxiety. My husband solved the problem for me, with the help of his mate who was a traffic cop at the time. Yes a breathalyser!!! Looking back now, I can almost manage a smile. However at the time I just drank more and more. No one believed me, I nearly lost two jobs, so why not prove them all right and just drink and drink.

However that was over 20 years ago, but I can still remember the shear horror of sounding totally wasted, the stigma attached to it, and knowing full well, I'd not had a drink.

So going back to you tom, yes you have signs of physical addiction to alcohol, but also the symptoms of chronic anxiety.

You need to tackle both your drinking and your anxiety. Start with a visit to your gp, see if he'll prescribe diazepam, you might be lucky, the odd dr here and there are sometimes prepared to prescribe benzos.

• Posted

Thankyou for the reply the anxiety is the reason I drink I reckon. the drink numbs it and helps stop the worrying.
    • Posted

That's what I used to tell myself. The problem is alcohol can cause anxiety, which if you're anxious already makes it worse. you then drink to help with the anxiety the alcohol has caused.

A  question most drs ask is which came first. If you don't get help soon and address the problem, you'll end up existing in a state of permanent chronic anxiety

• Posted

Hi tom..Vickylou did a good reply since being anxious and then drinking is a vicious circle and down you go...one more drink to feel better and then another and then next day wondering where is the next one coming from...Sinclair Method yes ...do look it up..I have not used or tried it but many praise it highly here!! Best of luck Tom
  • Posted

Please do look into the Sinclair Method. I went from 20+ units a day to about 3, with days of abstinence as well. I truly believed it saved my life and marriage. Thanks to the help of ADEfree and the support of the people on this forum I am thriving.
    • Posted

That's good to know, ADEfree has done brilliantly, and you seem to have done really well too.

• Posted

Thank you. I know I rarely post but I read everything posted everyday. I'm at a really good point in my life and I want people to know that you can get back there and I was abut to lose everything.

• Posted

Well done, I7! I'm so glad to hear you've broken alcohol's spell over you, that's fantastic!

• Posted

HI 17, This is so good to hear.  Your life and your family back, what could be better.  smile ...........G.
    • Posted

Thank you. I truly went from almost losing everything to now trying to start a family and about to purchase my first home. Things really can get better
    • Posted

Yes they can, and obviously are - just shows how it can be overcome, sheer hell, but the mind can do it when pushed to the limit.  Salute you smile ...G.
    • Posted

Amazing, I7! Congratulations! What you're saving on alcohol will probably make a good chunk on the house payment!

• Posted

Thank you. Everyone has been so supportive.
    • Posted

Ha! Yes it will. I can't imagine what I was spending each week.

• Posted

you will suddenly have more money and better skin and not look bad...sorry, but drinking excessively will make anybody look older than they actually are...yet again WELL DONE AND KEEP GOING from Robin
    • Posted

My wife is definitely enjoying the change. Thanks. I know this is just the begging but I am so glad I am on the path.
    • Posted

16 days since last reply and wondering how you are. All going better?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.