Drinking to excess

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hii

I know I drink too much and would love to control it, my girls have said I have a problem. They worry about me and are,embarrassed about me at  social events. I have drunk for years and am afraid it is part of my social life but realise I am exceeding the 14 units per week by far too much and it,worrys me.I have a good life and lovely family, so why do I feel the need to drink to,excess. I love to have a quick fix solution a pill or something to stop me drinking to,excess. 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Welcome Anne. Check out C3 Foundation website and the videos and good advice. Joanne who runs it is always full of good advice. How many units per week and breaks or not drinking g?
  • Posted

You feel the need to drink, because over time, excess drinking changes the brain neurologically. It is very similar to people that got hooked on Valium.

Fortunately there is a pill that can reset this for you and stop your craving for so much alcohol, whilst still allowing you to drink - Nalmefene if you are in the UK or naltrexone if you are in the US.It is called the TSM method.

• Posted

Hiya, I know how hard it is to find a reason for drinking too much. I’m there and have just come out of rehab for the fifth time!! This time I held nothing back, just let loose and try to be honest, not just with them but you too. It hurts but unless you rule out a lot of underlying memories, it won’t go anywhere. It’ll keep you from getting back to who you are. 

It might be in your genes, All my family were drinkers. Please try to talk to your GP he’ll know what to do. He will point you in the right direction xx 🤞🤞

• Posted

Great and honest reply. 5 times rehab means experience and you can give great advice!
    • Posted

Thank you so much. As I said it’s not easy so take all the help you can get. 
    • Posted

All that rehab does, is address the physical symptoms. Which is why people constantly relapse.

There are three stages of alcohol addiction, physical, neurological and psychological. Dealing with the former does not sort out the latter.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.