Drinking to excess and sore mouth

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hey guys

Currently in a bad place with my drinking. I can go all day without it but pretty much drink every night.

As I’m on holiday at the minute I drinking most of the day. Over the last few days the back of my mouth is very sore. I’m now paranoid I’ve developed cancer ??. I’ve been drinking often for about 1 & 1/2 years. I’m a 37 year old male with a great job and wonderful family. 

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I recently read that mouth ulcers can be caused by stress and a deficiency of vitamin B and folic acid. I think that both of these vitamins can be deficient due to excessive drinking. In my opinion, you should have your mouth checked my a medical professional but if it’s not cancer (you did not mention tobacco products) you may want to be sure to get these vitamins in your diet or purchase them from the drug store. Good luck with getting your drinking under control. I have been taking naltrexone for 3 months and my drinking has cut down by 80%. I know the results vary for this drug but it has been very encouraging for me. I do see an alcoholic counselor as well. Best of luck to you. Try to enjoy your holiday.

Michelle

• Posted

Thank you Michelle 

Appreciate the advice 😀

Good luck on your journey also! 

• Posted

I would guess it's not as bad as cancer. Not to scare you, but esophageal issues can be caused by excessive drinking and can be fatal.  I think that takes years though.  More likely a deficiency or just irritation from excessive drinking.  You should see a doc about your throat and ask about meds like Naltrexone or Campral.  They can work wonders to help get back into healthy moderation or even get to abstinence if that's what you're looking for.  For more info on that check out 

https://www.cthreefoundation.org/

• Posted

Hi leavesley

Are you by any chance drinking spirits?

Reason for asking is that over 20 years ago, I used to drink a lot of neat vodka or gin, whichever I could get.

After one two day binge of vodka, I woke up and had difficulty swallowing as my throat was so sore.

Putting it bluntly, the spirits had burned my esophagus (excuse spelling) and was at risk of esophagical varices. Bleeding.

I had to stop drinking as basically my throat was raw. I’m not saying that’s what you’ve got. I ended up with throat sprays to numb the back of my throat to enable me to tolerate water or soup.

Yes I thought this is it, I’ve got cancer and I smoke, I can’t even swallow, let alone eat. I could just tolerate warm water through a straw.

Hey twenty plus years later, I’m still here, drink socially. Love a hot curry and no permanent damage. Scary at the time, but you can recover

• Posted

How do you cope with your family? Do they see you drunk or do you manage to hide the drinking? I was like that for years and hiding my drinking..just wondering..
    • Posted

Hi Robin

Sorry for the late reply. I don’t hide the drinking as I handle the booze well (not a good thing) I only drink at night after work so it doesn’t appear like it’s a problem but I know it is. I suffer from anxiety and had a terrible upbringing. The drink helps numb this stuff out to be fair.

• Posted

Tough upbringing is never easy to cope with😕understand underlying issues...

• Posted

Oh please someone give advice on this. My daughter is losing respect 
    • Posted

Dear Michelle. Pls explain about daughter? I cannot see any mention of your daughter in your previous replies...
  • Posted

Leavesle: Having read your info, I would first say it is not likely you have oral cancer at 37 from drinking heavily for 1.5 years. Do have your mouth examined but it is not likely cancer if you do not smoke and chew tobacco. Try to find a dr that will prescribe naltrexone using the Sinclair Method. If you are not familiar with the Sinclair Method please look it up. I drank pretty good for 30 years and have reduced my drinking by more than 50% using the Sinclair Method three months into using that method. It's been a godsend and I recommend you look it up. U tube has several good video's on it and this site has good info on the method. And yes you may well have a vitamin deficiency particularly b vitamins. So find a good b complex vitamin and take extra b-12. Good luck my friend and do check our the Sinclair Method you will be glad you did.

• Posted

Thank you Barry it’s nice to hear from someone who has been through this challenge. My mouth feels better but I do need to address my drinking 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.