Drinking to help sleep

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi guys I have been having problems sleeping for about 5 months, I think it seemed to be triggered by prolonged stress and finally it started to effect my sleep. I have nights where I can get to sleep quick but wake up frequently after vivid dreams (before I had sleep problems I rarely remembered my dreams) and other nights I can toss and turn until sunrise and only get an hour or two sleep. I have tried over the counter antihistamines to make me drowsy but they seem to linger in my body even after stopping taking them for a few days. They make me sleep and I don't have the weird dreams either but the groggyness and dry mouth they give me is terrible. They also seem to give me depression which I believe is a common side effect. But the last 3 nights I have been drinking alcohol - about 4 cans of a beer a night seems to be enough to sedate me, I can be asleep in 10 mins after I finish them and sleep between 5 and 7 hours without waking until I need to pee. I feel fine in the morning and not groggy like when I take antihistamines. Is drinking 4 cans a night ok? Some people say yes and others no so I thought I would ask you guys. Like I say I feel fine & have decent energy during the day like I had a good enough sleep at the night.

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

How are you getting on Gareth I'm so struggling hope your doing better

• Posted

Sorry to interject but you are halfway there in making a decision to stop self harming by drinking.

I gave up drinking due to being diagnosed with epilepsy. I did not have a choice. It is a terrible drug and I do not go lobg with the idea thatalcohol is safe at all. Have you ever seen a poor Publican as in landlord, landlady, brewery ? 

At some breweries they supply free vitamin tavblets for those unfortunate enough to go along with the so called perks of free drinking! I think that says it all.

The best deterrent is thinking of the damage alcohol does to ones organs. If you google ethanol you will see how dangerous it is yet put into alcohol. Where is the logic?

• Posted

Resent as msg sent prior to editing.

Sorry to interject but you are halfway there in making a decision to stop self harming by drinking.

I gave up drinking due to being diagnosed with epilepsy. I did not have a choice. It is a terrible drug and I do not go long with the idea that alcohol is safe at all.

​On another note these breweries etc are just in it for the vast profits they make out of the punters who they secretly disrespect.

Have you ever seen a poor Publican as in landlord, landlady, brewery ? 

At some breweries they supply free vitamin tablets for the workers who generally speaking are  unfortunate enough to go along with the so called perks offered to them by the brewery of free drinking!

I think that says it all.I once heard of a landlord who would send a taxi to someone who had nerve damage to his legs and could not get to the pub.

That shows just how much profit these people ae making out of the people they call mugs behind their back of course.

The best deterrent is thinking of the damage alcohol does to ones organs. If you google ethanol you will see how dangerous it is yet put into alcohol. Where is the logic?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.