Drinks and Plain probiotic yoghurt?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Last week I posted about my acid reflux flairing up again after several months.

After a visit to the doctors he upped my medication which seemed to work apart from still feeling as if I have a lump in my throat and soreness.However this is not continous.

I am now looking at food and drink and where the triggers might be.

I have printed off a GERD diet sheet and aim to start some sort of diary to keep a track of what I eat.

I have started drinking herbal tea as a replacement for regular tea and I was thinking of trying camp coffee as a replacement for normal coffee.Any thoughts??

Also I read last week that probiotic yoghurts were ok , is this the case and would this be a suitable replacement for milk on cereal in the morning.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Wayne. milk is actually very good for soothing stomach & is a natural acid neutralise so unless you cant tolerate dairy, its a good thing to have in your case. you could switch to the fresh 1% fat one though - healthier - less fat for you stomach to cope with, & it tastes good & not watery like skimmed milk. also, when you feel sickly or have no appetite its a great substitute if you really dont feel like eating. it is after all a nutritious food in liquid form. hope this helps a bit. p.s no harm in eating probiotic youghurt as well either.

• Posted

It is a myth that dairy helps acid problems ! Yes dairy is alkaline in ph so may soothe your stomach for the first 10minutes. But it causes lots of stomach acid production which you don't want ! Trust me...avoid dairy as best you can. Avoid these as well until you heal :

- alcohol (particularly wine as acidic)

- high fat foods inc chocolate and cakes and pastries

- tea / coffee (even decaf)

- acidic foods and drinks

- fizzy drinks

Stick to whole foods, lots of less acid fruit and veg. You will see improvement after a few weeks if you are taking ppi which I assume

You are. If you don't change your diet to heal you won't and you'll

Be stuck on meds

-

• Posted

I am not sure about the camp coffee, I should avoid that. how about probiotic yoghurt and cereal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.