Drives Me Crazy

Posted , 10 users are following.

I am scheduled for my 2nd tkr 6/14. Its a bone on bone situation. A friend was telling me today that one of his knees is also bone on bone but he is an avid bicyclist and it gets rid of his pain! He said doc is amazed that he hasn't had a replacement. I start second guessing myself and find it unsettling. Has anyone heard this type of thing before? Is this possible?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Yes, I have heard about cycling relieving knee pain. My friend was a physio and she has knee pain and cycles and says it really does help with pain relief.
  • Posted

I had my tkr 10 weeks ago and it also was bone on bone so can't honestly see how cycling can cure it. I also need my right knee done but not ready to endure more surgery at present maybe in 12 months time but certainly not yet

• Posted

Thanks, Ann. I don't see how it could help. I know it strengthens your quads nut I have done quad strengthening for a long time. I'm still going to do the surgery...

• Posted

Yes, I have heard about cycling relieving knee pain. My friend was a physio and she has knee pain and cycles and says it really does help with pain relief.
  • Posted

by your post, sounds as if your first tkr was NOT bone on bone???  if not , why the surgery?  Mine was bone and bone and I wish I had never had this surgery.  I would love to ride a bike, by the way, but can't go full round on the pedals, yet, and Im 4 months post op yesterday.  Im  not a fan of TKR's. 

• Posted

Thanks Martha. First one was bone on bone and it's turned out pretty well it's been about 15 months, but it was long haul.

• Posted

Everyone is different and experiences pain differently. My wife's doctor told her (she was also bone-on-bone) that when the cortisone injections don't help anymore and the pain is so bad that you can't walk, it's time for a knee replacement (partial or total). 

Some people swear by Hyaluronic acid injections but her doctor just poo-poos them and her medical plan won't pay for them.

I don't know what to tell you about riding a bike. Bicycle riding is low stress on knees but whether it helps with pain is a new one on me. You could always give it a try; your knee(s) aren't going anywhere. But the bottom line is how your knees are affecting your walking and how much pain you are experiencing. You can't bicycle everywhere. Knee replacement is a "go" when everything else fails 

• Posted

Thanks, Robert. It was just frustrating cuz it's taken me quite a while to get an acceptance point of view of having a second tkr. But you're right about everybody's experience of pain and what they're willing to tolerate. And also who's to say that my knee joint is just like this guy's

• Posted

Remember we are all different in how we heal and how we deal with pain.  

I was bone on bone for a couple of years (I had a heart attack and they didn’t want to do the surgery for at least a year).   I was told for exercise to ride a bike as it would also help build up knee muscles.   I ended up putting off the surgery for a year because while I couldn’t walk a mile I could ride and ride.   And then literally, one day I came home from riding and my knees told me that was it...so I scheduled the knee surgery.   For me it only got me another year.  

• Posted

Hi I had a large meniscus tear in my mid 20s where I ended up having a arthroscopy removing most of the cartilage leaving it bone on bone. In my early 30s I had an X-ray which identified osteoarthritis so I had the usual steroid injections which had no effect what so ever. In my mid 30s I had an arthroscopy again and I was told that it was very severe and I needed a kne replacement but because of my age they didn't want to do it. To be fair I didn't want them to do it either. I took up cycling and I never got any arthritic pain only if it was really cold. I managed for 11 years with no problems, it was quite deformed but didn't give me any issues. The past year though I started taking a lot of pain killers and it became unbearable so I had the op last September. So it does work to a point and it put the op off for a considerable amount of time. 

• Posted

TKR's are not always a perfect solution to knee pain. Some folks swear by physio, exercise and manipulations. I'm better than I was prior to bilateral TKRs however each change and alteration of our skeleton and muscles, ligaments, nerves etc. can come with another set of challenges. Think about the positives and the negatives. Research then decide. I put my op off for 7 years. I'm glad I waited until I was almost immobile. Good luck.

• Posted

Mine was bone to bone i did a lot of walking but still had to have tkr which I had done end of January this year. Never heard about cycling helping. As the pain is horrible.
    • Posted

I had my left TKR Jan 31 of this year.  Still having a slew of problems and PAIN and stiffness
    • Posted

We're TKR twins...I'm the same date Martha .. I'm coming on...how are you doing? regarding cycling I couldn't for about 2 years b4 surgery.....knee just wouldn't go around....so had to give in......and have surgery

• Posted

So can you bike now?  On stationery bike I cannot go all the way around on pedals. Or, if I lean to the right and sit on my hip I can force it around.  I still have days that are soo painful.  And I did 30 sessions of PT plus go to the gym now?  I cry everyday over this monster in my knee

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.