Driving?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

This might sound like a strange one but has taking these tablets made anyone else find it hard to drive? I feel like my concentration is affected and I don't like driving too far at the moment because of it. Seems to have definitely got worse since I upped my dose. I'm hoping it's just temporary

Thanks x

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi helen..

forgive me for asking but does it matter a jot what the medication you're taking does to other folk when it comes to driving??  surely the issue is what it does to you?

having had to surrender my licenses years ago on an epilepsy diagnosis i don't need telling what a drag it is not to be driving but that so isn't the issue.

i truly feel you've answered your own question - as would any driving regulatory authority.  you say it affects you.. you surely shouldn't therefore be behind the wheel until it doesn't.. it's illegal to drive while impaired.  it will invalidate your insurance.  i doo feel you're taking a terrible risk if you continue to drive till it's settled - not just to you but also for anyone who happens to be in your way should it go wrong.

i'm sure this is all stuff you don't want to hear for which i'm sorry ..but it's from the heart.   ask your doctor - i found it the the hardest thing in the world suddenly to be barred from driving but there's too much at stake not to take seriously.

i was run down more than 30 years ago netting me brain damage, epilepsy and spinal injuries..  it absolutely ain't a hobby-horse or 'campaign'  but it turned out that fella shouldn't have been behind the wheel.   those few seconds in 1984 changed both our lives - mine permanently.  i urge you to go speak with people you trust on the matter but it really shouldn't be left unaddressed.

very best wishes in what must be a dreadful situation to find yourself in.

• Posted

Hi Helen,

Yep - definitely!  I'm on my 14th week and even now, I sometimes find I need to consciously concentrate more when I'm driving.  And, as one of our members (Katecogs) has pointed out, upping the dose can send you back to square 1 with all those horrible side-effects.  That zombie, closed-down feeling was probably the most prominent side-effect for me in those early days - for me, that was 8 weeks. So go with your instincts eh? If you're aware of feeling light-headed or zombified, DON'T drive!

Anne x

• Posted

Thank you for responding.

All I was really trying to find out was if this was something that anyone else who was on this medication had found or if it was just a personal thing.

I would never get behind the wheel and risk the safety of anybody else, if I felt that was the case I would not drive at all.

Thanks x

• Posted

you're welcome, helen..

thank heavens the thought even occured to you - i'm sorry if i seemed to 'come on a bit strong' on the matter but it's a potential 'rock in the pond' that just ripples out forever if dropped.

it only crossed my mind a moment ago but if you're in the uk you'll probably remember the bin lorry that ran amok in glasgow.

that driver had a pre-existing condition ..he'd gone so far as deliberately to lie about it.  he lost control when he passed out, killing 6 people.

last thought.. as to your original question about how others fare with this pill - i live my life in a permanent sense of disappointment every time i discover i'm not the first and only one to think this, do that, have something else or whatever.. pills included, whatever you are getting from yours or i from mine ..we can be sure there's a whole crowd out there going "oh.. that one"!  ..lol

hope things get back level for you before too long, and you can get back to 'tearin up the tarmac'!  biggrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.