Driving

Posted , 6 users are following.

Yippee I drove the car again today ...only to the local shops which isn't too far.....the answer to getting into the car is ...to run out of Breadbiggrin

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is it an auto or a manual car?....Do you have the same problem as me?...Getting in and out?....As it's my right knee, it causes me a problem lifting it in or out, and have to push the seat back as far as it will go, and I have to have the driver door 'wide' open, otherwise I'm stumped.
    • Posted

Hi

My car is an automatic 

and yes it's my right knee 

I too push the seat right back and need the door wide open so I can lift my leg in and out ...but the driving once I'm in the car isn't a problem 

• Posted

I tend to get a bit more fatigued than I would normally if I drive for a long way (mine's a manual)....Do you have to be a bit selective where I actually park if I go into the shops....even if I have to walk further to the shop, I have to park somewhere where I 'can' open the door wide, otherwise I simply can't get out....
    • Posted

I know what you mean about the parking 

I try to park in a place where I won't cause a problem  by opening the door wide but if you put your stick out of the car door first and someone has to wait  they don't seem to mind

anything to make life easier 

how long is it since you had your op?

• Posted

Had mine back in May this year.....it's a very long ol' healing process....I don't use my sticks any more, they long since got returned to the hospital.
    • Posted

I had my Op on 4th September...12 weeks on Thursday

and you could always put a stick in the car and use it just for the purpose I described ......needs must .....

• Posted

It's just that whacking your opening door against another car isn't going to win friends or influence people....hahaha....Other than a fump in the froat...haha
  • Posted

Well done jeansmile I am looking forward to driving. One more week! I will remember about the parking. 
    • Posted

Thanks Sandra

I even drove the long way home to give the car a run 

tomorrow I may do some Xmas shopping 

that's if I have another decent nights sleep 

biggrin

• Posted

Well done on your first drive...it can be a bit scary and difficult to get in and out of the car (particularly if like me you have the seat a long way forward).  I drove at 6 weeks after each of my operations, but the right knee gets more sore as the the heel is on the floor and constantly feels the bumps.  Just take it easy and build up gradually.

i also informed my insurance company after each Op...just in case!  It doesn't affect your premium or anything, but didn't want to give them any loopholes just in case I have a future accident at some time.

• Posted

Hi Jean congrats on getting behind the wheel again can I ask how many post op weeks you are? I am 5 weeks and drove like you to the local shop but my neighbour has just said that what I did was illegal!! Now I am panicking that I have broken the law! is there a law? I was fine no bother at all.
    • Posted

My understanding is that you need your surgeons clearance to drive to be covered by insurance. Not sure of the legal aspect. I think I will contact my insurance company as suggested above.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.