driving

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi ladies can I ask wot u were advised or did regards driving. How did u feel when u started again. I am just over 5 weeks post op and not sure if it's too soon, I wasn't given any advice as to how long to wait before driving. Thankyou in advance.

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jan I'm 11 weeks post op I started driving after 6 weeks was bit uncomfortable to start with and I was very anxious , but fine now , I was advised not b4 4 weeks, hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi Jan I'm 11 weeks post op I started driving after 6 weeks was bit uncomfortable to start with and I was very anxious , but fine now , I was advised not b4 4 weeks, hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi jan, I'm 9 weeks post op, but before I started to drive again I called my insurance company who told me that I could drive once my Dr gave me the ok, so with me it was after 7 weeks the day after I'd had my post op.
    • Posted

Many thanks kay I am seeing my consultant on Thurs so will check with him. X
  • Posted

Hi, I was told 6weeks before driving,you may not be covered by your insurance if you drive before that,hope that helps
  • Posted

I started driving after 4 weeks post op and it was just small trip to the store. Got caught by hubby because he could see that the car wasn't in the same spot. Lol now I'm 7 weeks and I'm driving my car all the time. I feel comfortable !! I still pace myself and take it easy though. I love to retreat back to my home base after I've been out a bit.
  • Posted

If you're in the UK jan most insurance companies won't insure you until you're at least 6 weeks post op. It's the same for all gynaecological and abdominal surgery. It's because it is well known that if you tried to do an emergency stop then you wouldn't be able to do it properly. There is a test that a lot of Urogynaecologists recommend to do after 6 weeks to make absolutely sure you'll be ok and that is to stamp one foot on a hard surface. If you're pain free then you are ok.
  • Posted

I did drive at 4/5 weeks but not far and have automatic which made it easier take care
    • Posted

I have an automatic but knew even at 6 weeks I couldn't put my foot down on the brake to do an emergency stop without being in pain. Most insurance companies are very clear about the guidelines.
  • Posted

I was told two weeks, if I am off all pain pills. I have a nice fluffy pillow to sit on. I would only plan on being out one hour.

Sherrie

• Posted

I would check with your insurance company. They'll probably say as long as your consultant says it's ok then they'll also be ok with it but double check. Some Urogynaecologists are repairing bladder prolapse which is performed when the patient is awake and and you can drive after 2 weeks.
  • Posted

I had rectocele surgery, vaginal suspension and full hysterectomy. My doc told me 2 weeks as long as I'm off pain meds. I took one! I feel great. No pain, I can sit comfortably, I can't wait to drive to my post op appt. I must be unusual, my doc said I had an incredible pain tolerance. This means I must be very careful not to do too much. This will be hard for 2-3 mos. I'm not a sitter!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.