Driving 5.5 weeks post op ???

Posted , 5 users are following.

Me again.... after having double bunion removal and hammer toe correction, which i still have pin in.... my right foot is very good... left one with pin is still very swollen and painful... but i am thinking of driving again..... but i feel worried... has anyone else been driving so soon after x thank you

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

Hi again.  I was able to drive as I have automatic and only my left foot done so didn't need.  I phoned my insurance company to find if I'm ok to drive legally, and they said if the doctor is happy for you to drive then you're insured. The DVLA info says as long as you can make an emergency braking you can drive.  In the end its your responsibility to ensure you are safe to drive. So basically if you think you could control the brake with right foot ok, but even better if you have automatic, otherwise your poor left foot would get a bashing with the clutch!  Might be worth taking a ride with someone to check out your driving?
    • Posted

hi barbara... thank you for replying, its so appreciated, i have taken on board all advice given, and i am not going to even attempt to drive until pin is out and i feel totally confident, i have got this far coping with the pain and discomfort i dont want to ruin that, i wish you well barbara and thanks again x
    • Posted

I agree, Gilly, don't drive until your left foot is recovered sufficiently. I know it is only the clutch foot but it is all part of controlling the car (as you will know). You need to be confident you can react quickly to other road users' daft mistakes as well as just drive from A to B. Also, take care of your foot or its recovery will take longer! A couple more weeks of not driving will not have an impact in the long term.
  • Posted

Hi again, Gilly, I drove at 6 weeks and 1 day after my left foot - no pin, a little pain caused by the clutch, especially as i went straight back into a work van with a heavy clutch.

I drove my own car today, 6 weeks and 1 day after my right foot - also no pin, no pain either!  This is the first day I have been able to get into a soft shoe, one size larger.

Surgeon told me last Tuesday that i should use my own judgement- as soon as i could put a shoe on and when I could safely carry out an emergency stop I was ok (insurance-wise) to start driving. He did advise shorter journeys at first.

• Posted

hi alice, thank you once again for your reply.... i have taken on board all the advice given, its so helpful and i so appreciate it, yes its best to have pin out before i even attempt i dont want to get this far and make things worse... i wish you well and thanks for all advice x
  • Posted

Gilly

i drove at 7 weeks, bilateral lapidus in a manual Saab, no problems, but I do think you should wait until your pin is out, and are wearing normal shoes.you shouldn't drive in the darco's 

caroline

• Posted

hi caroline, thank you so much for reply.... yes i think its best i wait, i am having pin out on tuesday but would like to be in less pain before i drive, i drive an auto so not clutch change thank god, but i will also ask lots of questions at hosp on tuesday, many thanks and i also wish you well x
  • Posted

I was 6 weeks after Akins and bunion surgery, I tested on a country road with no traffic if I was able to do an emergency stop which I could.
  • Posted

I have my 6 weeks check next week smile im dying to start driving as me and my little girl are going crazy spending so much in the house. And i cant wait to get out the big black shoe..its getting me down lugging it about sad im managing to walk a little with slippers on but i think i need to go somewhere to have some hard skin removed as its in different places now and very uncomfy. I havent managed to find any shoes yet for when i can get back in to them can anyone recomend any? I wanted scetchers but cant get the ones i want in my size. X
    • Posted

hi lisa, thanks for replying.... omg i so know what you  mean about being in the house, i had a double done and hammer toe pinned... but if i am honest i did not think it would of been like this... the surgeon made it sound very ohooo nothing to it, a few days on pain killers with rest.. but its been so much more than that.. the burning the stinging the swelling pain..the medication, and now the wounds are starting to heal its the state it now leaves the feet in general... mine is now 5.5 weeks and i think i will wait until the pin is out before i think of driving i have an automatic and luckly enough my right foot is the best out of the two, its the left with the pin... i am having pin out on tuesday so i have lots of questions for the hospital... i am going to ask if i can be referred to the pedicure people... as my feet are full of hard skin which is also making me feel down, i have always looked after my feet but at the moment the numbness is so tender i could not stand any foot file on them, with regards to shoes i have wasted so much money on buyer wider fitting shoes only flat ones not fashionable ones either just ones that look comfy... but to no avail, cant get them on and the ones i can hurt... even wide crocs that i hate lol hurt so i give up on that at the moment, when my time comes these big black boots are going out the window, i am due to go on holiday on 11th august so i really  hope i can get a shoe on, if not i will have to find something wide and comfy, cereal boxes come to mind.... have you looked on ebay for your scetchers, i wish you a speedy recovery soon and lets hope we can both get out and enjoy the good weather thats heading our way x
    • Posted

Aw i know exactly what you mean, no one prepares you for the recovery and i never heard any bad stories untill i had it done. Ie ven bumped into the surgeon before but surgery theb when i went for my 2 week check i bumped into him again and he said the same thing....he said he always says to other surgeons amd people that they should really explain more about how it is actually going to be and that it realy is a horrible recovery. Im not going to lie the first w weeks were horrific for me sad but once i was abke to move about it got easier.and im not in that much pain now...its the swelling that gets me. I was considering selling my car for a automatic lol but im just going to hold off till next week after i see my surgeon then go try a emergency stop lol. I also wish you a speedy recovery, hats off to anyone thats had double bunion or hammer toe surgery for sure. X
    • Posted

Try Teva active sandal, they were my first shoe, lovely and comfortable and open for your toes.  I wear wide Skechers for walking out distances, bought them at 9 wks and Hotters sandals for the shops.  Good luck with the pin, and write a list of what you want to ask the doctor.  Oh and if you have had X-rays done you can take a photo of them from the doctors computer screen, if you ask him nicely.  I did!
    • Posted

hi lisa... i am so glad i have spoken to someone who has said how bad this surgery is, i honestly thought it was me being a drama queen... but omg i have never experienced pain like it, the pain killers did not seem to help really only made me sleepy, and when i was sleeping i would jump in my sleep and my feet would hit together.. i would put them out the bed hanging over the edge of the bed, on a foot stall off the foot stall, on bags of ice, the list goes on and on... mine got so bad i could not even look at a knife because it made my stomach go over at the thought of what was beneath the bandages.. and i can honestly say had i had known about this site and reading peoples experiences i would not had had it done and just put up with the pain in later years when walking... i have also been so tearful, cant be bothered with anything, and everything seems such a hard task at the moment.. everyday i get up its the same old thing, ok at first but as soon as i walk, hot swelling painful big toes and bottom of foot feels like iv got a ball underneath so i cant put my foot flat to the floor.... also people seem to think ok its 5.5 weeks now you should be up and running, but if only it was like that, i dont even want people around me at mo, i guess the hot weather does not  help, i live in london and on wednesday its going to be 35 so hot all over including these feet....i feel so fed up today i have given up on the driving idea, apart from feeling pain in the feet i always feel unwell in myself, its like resting makes you feel so tired when you then try to do things... ohooo not a good day for me at mo... i am going to the hosp tomorrow for pin taken out and i am going to telll the doctor this surgery is much more than he explained... right gunning for him lol... guess i just want to feel well again too soon, but i will say ohoooo never again x both feet and hammer toe... done never again lol x
    • Posted

Hold on there Gilly, I really sympathise with you, can remember feeling the same as you but it does get better.  I'm sending you photos of my foot at 4 weeks and now at 12 weeks.  It is so much better, and although I can't do all the activities I used to, seeing your photos and reading your current experiences I realise the improvement.  I agree about the pain and discomfort though, these doctors need to experience it themselves!  Hope this helps.

• Posted

My Teva sandals at about 7 weeks, and X-rays before and after at 9 weeks.  Hope this helps you see the progress, you should expect.  It must be harder for you having them done together, but at least they're done now and probably you wouldn't of had the other done after this experience.  No way will I go through this again, so I've got odd feet wink
    • Posted

Aw gillysad keep your chin up....im also having a bad day today i am so fed up. And i was the same at the start the meds only made me tired they didnt help the pain at all. Yours looks really sore sad you got to just relax you will know in your self when your able to do things i suppose. Well i say that....i feel ready to get back to normal but my foot doesn't agree lol im going to try take my forst shower tonight...ive usualy just been taking baths but im sick of it lol they really need to tell patients just how hard the recovery is.i honestly thought it was just 6 weeks thats why i went ahead, it was only when i came on here that i seen it can take up to a year. Well im in scotland and the weather is miserable lol. Keep your chin up hun. Xx
    • Posted

thanks lisa xx yer you too, keep strong, we must be through the worst so it can only get better !!! hope so lol... keep me posted to how you are getting on and remember we are all here to help each other x
    • Posted

ohooo barbara, yours too looked sore... but after pictures certainly give hope that things do work out in the end.... guess just had a real couple of bad days when the road ahead still seems very long... better days ahead x
    • Posted

Yes I can remember those bad days, no one can really tell you what this ops about, and it's an experience we could do without.  Those long days of aches, tight feet, sharp pains, itchy scar.  Oh the thought of it!  I am pleased I'm not suffering with the swollen feet, pains in the ankles and other parts of the body where I guess it's adjusting to the new feet.  BUT I still feel like my toe is detached from my foot.  This hot weather I'm walking around bare-footed so I can't hide seeing what's going on down there.  I'm still not happy with my hammer toe scar.  Is yours sort of dimpled, and it aches a lot too.  I'm going back in August, but don't know what he can do about it.

How did the pin go, easy wasn't it? You will start to feel better with that out, it's sooooo long.

• Posted

Lisa, when you reply there are four icons top right of window.  The last one looks like hills with a sun above is the picture insert. Click it and find your picture in your photos to insert.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.