DRIVING A CAR AFTER CATARACT SURGERY

Posted , 6 users are following.

When I had my first cataract surgery in December I was told not to drive a car until I'd had my 7 day checkup, but another patient I met later who'd had identical surgery at the same hospital wasn't told this, only to not lift anything heavy or bend over for at least a week.

I'm having the second eye done later this month and would like to know other people's experience of this:  I will of course ask the surgeon at the time for the reason, but would like some feedback here please.

The reason I ask is that as I live at the top of a very steep hill which I can walk down but not get back up again bc of COPD, it was very inconvenient after the first surgery having to ask people to pick me up, take me places and drop me back at home.    I don't see what harm could be done by me driving down the hill to the local shops and back up again.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

You are legally allowed to drive with one eye [in the UK] if you are still able to meet the standards of vision for driving.

If you cannot meet these standards, then the harm would be that your insurance would no longer cover you.

I'll post a link after this post.

• Posted

Thanks for your response.  

I'm not approaching the issue from the legal point of view and anyway I'm in Australia, not the UK.   My vision is better now after the first surgery so that's not the issue, it's whether or not there are medical reasons not to drive.  I can understand that it probably wouldn't be ok to drive immediately after surgery, but I can't see why the ban lasts for an entire week if there are no complications from the surgery.

• Posted

I am not aware of any medical reasons why you shouldn't drive, unless you have had a general anaesthetic.  I forget when I drove following my op but I drove to London & back in a day quite soon afterwards & that is about 500 miles.  My eye was very tired but you are only talking of going a short distance, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Good luck Jude.

• Posted

I would definitely ask your doctor why you were told not to drive.  Does he know why you really need to drive with your COPD?  The day after my surgery my doctor told me to go and live a normal life.  No restrictions on anything.  
    • Posted

The restriction is listed on the discharge papers:  I'll have to remember to ask her before she starts on the surgery.

Were you not told not to lift anything heavy or bend forward after surgery?    How about cortisone & antibiotic eyedrops for 4 weeks?

• Posted

Hello Jude,

yes, I had antibiotic eye drops for a week cortisone ones for three weeks.  (The last week was once a day)I had asked the doctor about lifting heavy things and he told me that the lens was there for forever and that the only reason he said he advised not lifting was that you could feel the strain/pain in my eye but it wouldn't damage the lens.The  Doctor of course testedd my eye when he removed the patch and that is when he told me I could drive without any problem.  (Which I did, 24 hours after surgery). Guess each case is unique and the recommendations they give are for everyone, so it pays to ask those personal questions.

• Posted

Thanks for the further info:  I was surprised that a surgeon would only say "go and live your life" with no aftercare instructions, which is what it sounded like from your post and an earlier one from you on this site.

Lenses CAN become detached or move, by the way, but whether it's from lifting heavy things or bending forward I don't know and I'd rather not take the risk.  The driving is another issue I'll ask the surgeon about before the surgery and would've asked last time except it was on the  printed form I was handed as I left.

• Posted

Yes, I was a bit surprised when he said that, but maybe the surgical technique was different.  I had mine done in Mexico where I live.  Interesting that a friend from the states was visiting recently and  who had had cataract surgery probably a week earlier than mine.  She paid extra for special lenses.  Mine are multi focal.  The extra amount for my friends's lens which she paid for out of pocket was the TOTAL amount for my surgery, lens and all. 
  • Posted

You should be able to drive 24 to 48 hours later. Really depends on you and your vision.
    • Posted

Thanks, that's what I think too, assuming there are no problems following surgery
  • Posted

My husband and I both had cataract surgery.  I was good to go about a week later (okay'd by doc) but he is taking longer due to inflammation causing blurriness in his eye.  I'd for sure check with the doctor as each case is different.  He is having to rely on neighbors to drive him for now as I work during the day.  Best of luck to you Jude.
  • Posted

Hi Jude. I was told at my post op appt the day after surgery that I could drive as my eye sight in that eye was 20-40 ( could not see well enough out of my Un-operated to drive but told I could drive.)The next day it was blurry for about two weeks so  I could not. They really didn't give me much guidance. I would use your judgment and drive if you can see well enough
    • Posted

Thanks Linda.   I'm assuming it's about either driving after the local anaesthetic, but if so why for so long?  OR the eyesight issue.  It can't be bc driving cd adversely affect the surgery as far as I can work out.

I didn't get it after the first surgery, because after it my eyesight was HEAPS better than it had been and presumably after the second surgery it will be even better ........ 

I'll ask them a few questions on Friday before the surgery and yeah, as you say, use my own judgment after that.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.