Driving after ankle surgery?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello,

I had my surgery Jan 14.  Can walk pretty well with crutches and hobble around a bit.  When do you think one is ready to drive?

How would you know it?

Do you have to have an automatic car?

Thanks,

Molly

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I broke my medial malleolus on news years day this year and had ORIF surgery on the 5th. I was back driving in March time as my ankle healed very well.

The way my doctor explained it is that you can't drive with a boot and only to drive without when you feel comfortable to do an emergency stop.

• Posted

Thanks Asewell.  I think as you say being able to make an emergency stop is the main thing.  I will have to try that before starting to drive.

Take care,

Molly

• Posted

Dear Molly

We are all different in so many ways,but there is one vital thing you must be able to do regardless of manual or auto car and that is to stop and do an emergency stop!

I was back driving a low slung manual car safely in snow conditions at six weeks and having to put on and take off snow chains.

Remember to let your insurance company know about your surgery.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Hello Richard,

Thank you for your advice.  Yes, I have to try driving first in a safe environment and check how good I am doing an emergency stop.

Letting the car insurance know about my situation is also a good idea.

I guess you are from Canada since you mention snow.

You people have sturdy cars there and must be all great drivers.

I was once caught in a snow storm which rarely happens here in England and, was so hard driving the car.  It took me ages to come back home.

Hope you are recovering well and fast,

Molly

• Posted

Dear Molly

Actually I was living in Wales at the time! We occasionally got snowed in and putting on and removing chains in the snow six weeks after a replacement ankle was quite tough!

I’m off for the hip revision surgery on May 18th and I've got my ankle on the other side pre-op this Friday. I’m hoping for a quick recovery of the hip as there will only be about eight weeks for recovery!

All the best

Richard

• Posted

Richard,

I think it is too early to try to drive after 6 weeks but obviously you had too, if you were snowed in.

Do you mean on May 18 will just be a check up for hip?

When was your hip op. Must have mixed up the dates or order of

surgeries?

How did your visit go on Friday?

Are you still on recovery?

Best wishes,

Molly

• Posted

Dear Molly

If you are able to control the car safely and do an emergency stop plus you are feeling confident you should be good to go!

I was fine for driving at six weeks and needed to,get some,work

• Posted

Apologies for the premature posting. As I was saying I was fine for driving at six weeks and had been moving the car around the yard at about three weeks in the boot.

I needed to get some urgent client work off in the post and UPS could not collect from our snow bound area so I thought that I should give it a go.

The actual hip revision is scheduled for the 18th of May and been told to be there at 7.30am! Just hole it is not put back again.

The appointment in north London was fine ad I negociated the underground system without getting lost or falling down stairs or escalators.

After having the CT scan etc Mr surgeon having considered things said that best thing to do was to pull out the four year old prosthesis and put in an alternative one.

It transpires that there were issues with the original surgery. First there were small cysts in the surgery site that shoul

• Posted

Sorry again,for the fragmented reply...oh the joys of doing this on a phone rather than a proper computer but I’m determined to get used to it!

As t wa saying before getting cut off in mid sentence the small bone cysts should have been cleaned out and filled before the prosthesis was fitted. Then the prosthesis was out in a little offset and not in the correct alignment all of which caused the metalwork to touch the bone next to my femur.

The mis position is thought to have caused more wear debris than normal and could have been the reason for the amount of osteolysis that developed in the fours years since surgery.

Osteolysis is a potential risk in all joint replacement surgery but whilst you are warned of other dangers this seems not to be entitled which I think is really bad as it is well written up. No excuse!

My surgeon is planning on removing my original prosthesis and putting in a different one but this cannot be done until I've recovered from my hip revision.

I cannot say that I’m looking forward to the next six months but it has to be done if I’m to continue to live my life as I want.

Hopefully I will be pretty well on the road to normality by my 76th birthday in December this year.

Cheers Richard

• Posted

Dear Richard,

Thank you for your posting and will reply back giving it the due attention asap.

I had a trying day and need to put my bad leg up.  Plus I am spiralling downwards...

Enjoy the rest of our cloudy day and take good care of yourself,

Molly

• Posted

Thanks Molly. Yes the day has gone badly downhill weather wise here too!

Cheers Richard

• Posted

I have been very weepy and sad the last few days and I can't put my finger on why.  Don't blame our cloudy skies because I love them.

Are you interested in painting?  Constable knew the English clouds.

Molly

• Posted

Dear Molly

I’m so sorry that you are having such a horrible time at the moment. I am quite fortunate in being able to ignore unpleasant reality for much of the time and be positive but fear and sadness does sometimes break through I must admit.

I've always had projects to get stuck into, many lasting several years that have needed lots of energy which have helped me get though.

I'm not a painter though my Father was but allng

• Posted

Sorry about that blip guys! I was about to say in my reply to Molly that in addition to building and sheep, art has been very much my life <BG> but since I'm getting well off topic I had best leave it there!

Tomorrow is another day, everything is starting to wake up outside, it's a wonderful time of year and that should help us to feel more cheerful especially if the sun pays us a visit!

Cheers everyone

Richard

• Posted

Dear Richard,

Sorry you are to have a surgery to remove the original prosthesis.

It is a long process,  Hope you will be given good after care support,

It is best keeping positive.

I have some sad days and some better ones.

I get frustrated as a simple job takes effort and then

you need rest.  

I also need to go to a meeting in central London on May 20 and

am wondering how I will manage.

North London is an even longer trip for you.

Hope you will not have too many changes to do.

It is a very early appointment but probably is

for the best as you could avoid the rush hour.

After my rest and a couple of painkillers, I did some sewing and

planting. Now I feel much better, thanks.

Looked at the weather forecast.

We are to have a cloudy week

but there will have to be some sunny spells too.

Constable was good for painting 

English skies and clouds :-)

You are right, spring is here and

is the best time of year.

We need to keep our spirits up.

Molly

• Posted

Dear Molly

Thanks for your supportive words. The ankle revision is the north London surgery and will not happen until the hip is all done and dusted and that is the one on May 18th that needs me to arrive at 7.30 and this is to be done in Southampton. I might just get some accommodation close by to avoid pressure on the day of trains etc.

I'm glad that you are feeling a bit better now..I've not long seen your posting and hope the sun I have here has reached you. The barometer has gone up so hopefully a return to some nice weather.

I have a very moody seascape watercolor by an artist from way back left to me by my mum that I always loved that now has pride of place in the living room. You are right Constable did some amazing clouds.

All the best

Richard

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.