Driving after hip replacement

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hi

Looking for a little advice...before surgery i didnt think about asking asking as i thought i would have had a 6 week check up...well i have a 11 week check up was 9 weeks then got cancelled..so i thought i would see someone to tell me i was fit for driving...did call hospital..waited so long on the phone for the person not to listen properly and returned my call that i couldnt take leave a message and just couldnt be bothered calling back...can my doctor confirm it with me...i honestly feel fine the now after only 3 1/2 weeks was thinking about making an appointment at just over 5 weeks..i can move my leg better than i have been able to in along time..still do what i have been told..steps ect..i cant believe the diffrence...getting up with no pain other than my back being stiff from lying on my back.

Thanks Leanne

1 like, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Usually restrictions are lifted at 8 weeks, with no complications. However it really depends on your leg and hip strength and which hip it was if you are driving an automatic. My neighbor tried driving to the hairdresser, a very short distance at exactly 9 weeks, it had been her right hip and she drove an automatic. It sounded safe as she would not be driving over 35mph and about ½ mile. Well she ran into a truck in the parking lot as it was pulling out fast and she could not get her right leg to the brake fast enough. Nobody was hurt, but since she hit the back of them it was counted against her insurance. Now if it was your left hip and you drive an automatic it should be no problem. My doctor told me I could drive with my left hip replacement at 3 weeks, but I was not ready to get in and out of car and do walking once I got somewhere. I waited the full 8 weeks. You can never drive on pain meds either and because of an inflammation of my IT band, I had to take narcotics longer so could not drive. If it is your right hip, I would suggest someone taking you to practice using brakes in a parking lot somewhere.Practice hitting your brakes fast as that is the hardest. Good luck.

• Posted

Leanne, 

I'm certainly not the norm; but I believe in telling it like it is.  On each of my THRs, spent one full day and 2 nights, so probably in the hospital about 35 hours.  Only used the pain pump twice during the first 12 hours and no drugs after that.  Checked out of hospital and wife drove around the corner, then I took over and been driving every since.  ---Just be sure that you are drug free before doing such a thing.  Both of my surgeons pushed the concept of doing virtually anything you felt like doing, and to listen to your body.  On the way home from the first THR, we stopped at SAM'S Club and did a little shopping.  I used a walker, no wheel chairs for me.  As I said, I'm not the norm (almost 82 years old and still going).  Good luck with your THR.

• Posted

Hi i had a hip rep on 7th july x i too felt i could drive 3 weeks after but for insurance you cant drive till 6 weeks later . If you were to have an accident then they would throw the book at you !! Im now back to driving and working full time . Hope this helps x take care
  • Posted

Hi  leanne

I am 11 week's post op had the all clear to drive. On my 8 week check up at the hospital. I was a bit worried because I drive a manual but my consultant said that's fine. But I have a cushion on my seat which felt a bit strange at first. But I've got used to it now and to be honest I probably will keep it all the time iam driving hope this has helped. 

Regards  Sharon 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.