Driving after rectocele repair

Posted , 15 users are following.

I just wondered how long people waited before driving after having a rectocele repair? 

I am 4 and a half weeks post op. I haven’t driven yet. I’ve got two kids so I help around the house. I’ve walked around abit at the garden centre etc. I must say the smallest bit of walking exhausts me and I have to have a nap after. Is that normal?! 

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I waited for about a month, but was sore sitting down and getting in and out of car.

Yes it's normal,I felt exhausted for months if I did anything much at all.

Get as much rest as you can. It's a big operation, takes a lot of recovery time.

• Posted

I’ll be 5 weeks post op from anterior and posterior repair tomorrow and was thinking of doing a short drive to take my son to his sea cadet meeting. The problem I have is tiredness so staying up until 930 to collect him will be the biggest challenge I think. I’ve been gradually building up my walks but often have a nap in the afternoon. I’m not intending to get back into long journeys for a bit just 15 minutes when there’s no traffic about.

good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Please be careful if you’re feeling so tired. I’m just over two weeks and feel very tired indeed and am uncomfortable if I am on my feet for more than 15minutes. I feel much more comfortable laying down!   Thanks for sharing 
  • Posted

I didn't drive for for 8 weeks. You need to be able to do an emergency stop safely & without pain & I wouldn't have been ready before. I'm 14 weeks post op now & still get tired if I do too much. Listen to your body, it takes a lot longer than you think. Even when you look & feel fine on the outside, there's still a lot of healing going on inside. Take care & keep resting & accept as much help as possible. x

• Posted

Hi there, I didn't drive any distance until 10wks, probably a bit unusual but that was when I felt ready. Did manage a couple of short runs in the earlier wks but that was enough. You also have to be careful as a passenger because of the way we get in & out of a car, ie: one leg out before the other tends to stretch around that area so try to turn your bottom round & put both legs out at the same time even if you have to get your companion to help you out of the car. It took me a while to fathom out how to help myself but it worked for me!

You will feel tired, it absolutely drains the life out of you but you need to rest then rest some more. Your strength will return but it takes time & how you're feeling now is normal.

Good luck with your recovery & don't try to rush it!

Janet x

• Posted

I’m two weeks . I had a consultation day & and walked from the car park for my appointment. Then slept for five hours!

I have used cleaning wipes to dust the bedroom a few times. I have made toast once and make myself a cuppa when my husband is working. Otherwise doing very little. Some paperwork from my bed.

I am extremely tired. I wake have a shower and then want to sleep again!

I think if you want to drive before six weeks you need to check with your insurance company as you may not be covered.

Wishing you a steady recovery. Take your time 😊

• Posted

Thankyou for all your replies. 

I think I’m just so frustrated. I feel like such a burden relying on parents and in laws to take the kids to and from school. 

My eldest daughter is 10 and she has a muscle wasting disease, so my vehicle is a Volkswagen transporter van that is wheelchair accessible. I have to climb in which I’ve find ok now, not so much the first few weeks! 

My husband doesn’t want me driving until I’m 6 weeks post op, and my surgeon did say something about insurance before 6 weeks. I guess I just have to be a little bit more patient. I just feel like people think I’m milking it abit. Cause I look ok, and seem ok! Not hobbling about like I was. But I’m still not 100%! 

• Posted

Oh bless you, I'm 14wks post op for same procedure & I'm not 100% now! You really do have to listen to your body. I had friends who came to see me in the early days then I just had texts from them as they expected me to be running around...er no! You are not milking it....refer them to me if they say anything ha!

Stay positive & take it steady, you will get there it just takes time!!!

• Posted

Hi kp1407,

I'm nearly 8 weeks post op and I did a short drive a couple of days ago, I did try pushing on the pedals hard and fast (like an emergency stop) before I attempted driving, but your car insurance is not valid until 6 weeks post op, so just check it before you do go out in the car.

I was so excited going out in the car .... freedom 😁😁 but if anything is painful or hurts then I wouldn't take a chance, I did realise, oh yes I can drive but I can't go for supermarket shopping as we can't carry anything weighty 😂 but it was lovely to have a wander around and I did buy a loaf and couple of birthday cards 😀😀😀

At four and a half weeks I'd still be very careful, at the moment I'm still only doing light housework, cooking easy meals, not lifting anything heavier than a kettle of water, if I prep food I chop veg etc sitting down, then carry it to the saucepan in small amounts. I'm nearly 8 week 😀

Be careful and rest, rest, rest. If you need a nap ... have one x

Good luck and take care xxx

• Posted

I waited 4 weeks after my anterior repair in 2013. I was planning to do the same this time (I'm just over 2 weeks post op). I feel I could do it now but will wait due to the insurance. Luckily I'm not sleepy at all during the day & managed 2 short walks today! Going to start baking (small things) this week & generally starting to do a bit more. Lots of resting as well of course.

• Posted

I will be having my rectocele surgery tomorrow and my doctor told me I will be able to return to work in 2 weeks. I will have to drive in order to get to work, I am really confuse with what mt doctor is saying and reading all the posts. After you had surgery was it painful to walk and could you close your legs without casing pain. I guess after tomorrow I will be able to answer questions about this surgery. Also, could someone how long were you in the hospital?
    • Posted

I wouldn’t of been ready to drive at 2 weeks. I still couldn’t sit down normally by then as I was still very sore. 

I think you need to give yourself longer. 

I was in hospital for 2 nights. I know some people went home the same day or the next day. It all just really depends on you. 

I don’t think people, even some Doctors, understand the recovery time after this operation. 

It’s worth it but just please don’t rush back to work. 

• Posted

Good luck with your surgery! In the UK they advise not driving for 4 - 6 weeks as you may not be covered by your insurance. I was in hospital for 2 nights. X
  • Posted

My first week, I was in bed almost 24/7. The second week, I would come downstairs a few times a day, and lounge for about 15-20 min. I have lots of helpers at home, so no housework or cleaning. By my third week, I was completely stir crazy, and drove to pick up my teen from her school, an easy drive about 6 miles round trip, but I would get tired and need to rest afterwards. My MD gave the “advance activity as tolerated”, but absolutely no lifting more than 8 lbs, so I took that as an OK to drive. I didn’t go back to work until 6 weeks, which was just right for me. I had relearned how to poo (watch the physio training video!), was able to walk several miles/day, and no pain meds by the time I went back. There’s no way I could have sat at my desk for 8 hours/ day after 2 weeks post op. Take care, and let you body fully heal. 

Regards, Susan

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.