Driving after right ankle break

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

I am new to the group. I am 4 weeks post op for a broken ankle in three places and a dislocation from missing a step. I go back to my surgeon on the 31 st and hope to start weight bearing. It is my right foot and I am concerned about driving. What should be my realistic expectation. I start school on August 14 and have a 45 minute drive. I am an itinerant teacher so I do a lot of walking and driving from school to school. My doctor said I could take the boot off to drive and put it back on when I reach my destination. By that time I will be 7 weeks post op. Would love some input Angela

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

• Posted

Hi Angela' I'm now 4weeks out of my boot. When I told my consultant I can't wait to get behind the wheel again, he just told me that I had to be able to do a emergency stop. Am I going to try it? No.... Because I know it's going to be painful, but if anything happens where you had to do one, then you would just automatically kick in and do it. I've been driving for 2weeks now, not as easy or should say comfortable as I thought it would be. It does make my foot /heel. Ache as it's my right foot and manual car, but just to get that little bit of freedom is great. I went out on my own to take some thing back to store today, first time on my own. One crutch. Only out for half hr and glad to get back home. Painful... Ooooch but did it. I'm sure you will be OK just take it easy. Good luck. Sx

• Posted

Forgot to say that I was 12 weeks post op before I drove. But seems your doing well if you've been told you can take boot off to drive!! Sx

• Posted

Thanks Sandra,

That is what he told me on my first visit when I was practically in tears when I found out about the surgery/recovery time. He said to go to a parking lot and practice driving to make sure I was able to but felt like I would be able to when school started by removing the boot and putting it back on. I will know more on Monday. A friend of mine drove with her left foot but I'm not that coordinated. I am glad you are able to drive now. It is a very lonely isolating process and very difficult to be dependent on everyone. I know it is a great feeling to be making progress and getting that independence back. This has been a slooow process. I am worried that the plan mapped out in my head isn't going to match reality.

• Posted

I feel the same about what my head tells you. Once my boot cam off. 4weeks ago, I thought I would be walking independently within a fortnight!!! No chance. In unable to walk without a crutch and still having a lot of pain. The only thing that seems to be subsiding is the swelling. I'm trying everything. Massage Epsom salt soaks exercise and STILL. Got pain. It's never ending. 😔. Sx

• Posted

I will have to try the Epsom salts when I get to the soaking stage. I can't wait to be able to soak my foot!

• Posted

Such a small thing.... Soaking your feet. Lol but it's heaven sat in front of TV with a cuppa and warm foot soak. Let's hope you won't be as long as I was before you can have foot soak. Sx

• Posted

How long was it for you? I would love to soak in a bubble bath without dangling my leg out.
    • Posted

I'm at 14 1/2 weeks. Been out of the boot for 4 weeks. So been able to have shower Sat on a bath bench with both legs in. Before boot cans off a bought a waterproof cast cover which went over the cast so I could still shower without my leg dangling over side. Only used it twice because as soon as I got it the cast came off so could then get everything wet. So could sat it was at 10 weeks that I could start soaking. Sx

• Posted

I'm on exact timeline and did exact thing to my ankle for exact reason. I don't expect to drive for awhile.

• Posted

Hi Christina, When was your surgery? Mine was June 26. Did your doctor mention how many weeks until you could weight bear? I am in a boot but can't bear weight yet and haven't started therapy. Did your doctor mention driving? UGH! I never dreamed a broken ankle could be so confining.

• Posted

My surgery was June 23rd. Aug 16 he will see me again and look at X-rays and give me green light to FWB. As far as therapy I'm not sure. I will still have boot. He said as far as driving that will be when I can make an emergency stop and gave me "the look". So it doesn't look like for awhile.

• Posted

Our surgeries were very close. What type of break did you have? I am so hoping to be able to weight bear when I go back on Monday but I'm not sure. Everything is healing well. The surgical incisions on the inside of my ankle seem to pull as they are healing .... not sure if the skin is tightening where the stitches were and the boot rubs against them to cause more irritation or what. That is the only pain I have. Just have trouble getting comfortable and sleeping at night.

• Posted

Your skin will feel tight. Mine felt the same but as your wound is now healed run moisture cream into the scar or a little vasolin just to help keep it from stretching. Mine has been great since doing it with moisture every morning and night.. Great to hear that's the only discomfort /pain you get. I'm still getting a lot of pain when trying to walk. 4weeks out of boot and still not able to walk unaided. Using 1 crutch, but I do shuffle when trying to walk without help. 😔. Long haul ahead. Good luck with your recovery. Sx

• Posted

Angela I have same

Pain as u. I dislocated my ankle

And broke all

Three bones -- the tri... break. Can't recall

The name. Let me know if u weight bear Monday. I haven't put anything on where we had stitches. I wasn't told to. Have you?

• Posted

same break as me, bit i also broke bone on the inide of my ankle too, so large plate n pins on outside and alo plate n pins on inside too..  Today I have managed to walk...should say shuffle from my living room to the kitchen for the first time ever without aid. Painful but ive done it.  100 mtr sprint im coming !!!   lol  sx
    • Posted

Hi Christine,

I will let you know how Monday's appt goes. I am not sure what to expect after reading the different recovery times. The doctor seemed to think I would be in a boot and okay to drive/ work when we started school in Mid August but I'm starting to have some doubts. Seems the average driving time is somewhere between 10 -12 weeks due to emergency braking. I'm trying to be more realistic so I won't be disappointed. The PA told me to put vitamin E oil on the wounds and I have started doing that. The top of my foot has started to peel.. I guess from the swelling/ stretched skin. The vitamin E oil has helped. Glad to find someone on here with the same Break/timeline.

• Posted

Hi. I honestly didn't feel pain when emergency breaking. I do however get swelling and burn when I drive too far. And at the  moment in doing 2 to 3 ,,400kms round trips a week and omg. Takes me a while to stop moaning. It has helped my ankle rotation and heal pain.its good when I can use cruise control in car but haven't been able to because of rainy weather. Driving is freedom.  Hey I alsio freaked out when surgeon put " Ongoing for 2years" on medical certificate for work.  I my reaction was pure horror until dr explained it generally takes 5 6 months but they allow for full recovery and possible removal of hardwear if needed. 

• Posted

Yes, I've removed the boot and showered/ taken tub baths but I find it easier to take a bath in the garden tub. It has an indented area on the right that is perfect to raise my foot up comfortably so it doesn't soak and it is much easier to rinse the soap out of my hair. I use a non scented sensitive skin soap on the wound area and area around it. Showering was difficult because ours is very small and I couldn't fit a chair in there. It has a raised seating area but it is kind of high and gets slippery from the soap. How is it going with you?

• Posted

I just read Aquaphor is best. I haven't showered that leg. I just now rinsed it with wound care and put E ointment and new gauze. I am going to buy some Aquaphor. I will shower w boot off next time. Been so fearful!

• Posted

Jenni,

That is encouraging because that is almost 250 miles. I only have 40/ 45 miles /90 miles round trip. When were you able to drive and when was your injury? I am glad to hear braking wasn't painful. I'm going to ask on Monday about a brace when I am able to drive. I might be able to remove it and then put back on the boot. I am craving independence. I also changed teaching jobs this year and hate to start the school year out on leave.

• Posted

Ongoing for 2years!!!! Let's hope we don't have to go through the hardware removal. Don't think I could take any more after this. 😢 😢. Sx

• Posted

Another thing that we have in common. I am 45 minutes one way. I just changed school districts. What do you teach? I teach the visually impaired so I travel from school to school. I usually do not have more than one or two students at a school so it is a lot of driving in and out of the car. Not exactly the kind of job that works in my favor right now. Fortunately, I am close friends with one of my team members. She gets it and constantly deals with an ongoing nerve issue with her left foot. She said she will drive me or help me anyway she can . I still hate to have to rely on someone and not be at my full capacity starting a new job. UGH!
    • Posted

I teach second grade . Omg -- my son is visually impaired! He has ocular albinism and nystagmus. He will be in 5th grade. Other than that other disabilities. He is a straight A kid and well behaved. Blessed!
    • Posted

I love the kids with ocular albinism and albinism. They are so much fun to work with. Sounds like he is doing really well! Does he have a VI teacher? Some of my students with OA needed services for awhile and then went to a 504 or consultation. I have 19 year old girl /boy twins. My son has Down syndrome. He doesn't have a visual impairment but wears hearing aids. He receives services from a hearing impaired teacher. Are you going to be able to start the school year?

• Posted

He is under the actual special ed umbrella w modifications . (Not 504). So yes he is. I also have him serviced by state of

Texas .

• Posted

I am using Seba Med. We already had some here. I wish my doctor and PA were a little more informative. I'm going in with a list of questions on Monday.

• Posted

Texaa has some really good vision services. We access the Texas School for Blind and Visually Impaired for information. I am from South Carolina.
    • Posted

Two years! Ugh! I was told to expect swelling for up to a year. I havent even asked about possible hardware removal. The initial surgery was bad enough. I hated the leg block. I'm preparing some questions when I go on Monday.

• Posted

I was wondering about where u were from? You said your son has downs. Does your girl have any disability?
    • Posted

She doesn't have a disability. She just completed her first year of college with a 4.0. She is in Pre Med so I'm not sure how long she will be able to keep a 4.0. She studies really hard but She's got some tough classes ahead of her. She is an advocate for kids with Special Needs and loves her brother dearly. She participated in Special Olympics as his unified partner and comes home to attend the proms etc. Very helpful with entertaining him this summer since I pretty much ruined things for everyone. We had to cancel our trip to the beach and pretty much everthing else. I don't know about you but I don't leave the house much.

• Posted

Hi. Break 24 march. Surgery a week later. So 4 months. Have been driving for 6 weeks but not these distances. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.