Driving after tkr

Posted , 19 users are following.

I am preparing for my tkr and feel like I will get truthful answers from the ones that have already gone through this more so than what the doctors will tell me.

I am reading that a lot of people are not able to drive for 4 plus weeks. Is this because of the drugs, the pain or because it's difficult to get in/out of cars. I understand there will be swelling and pain but what's keeping people from being able to drive?

I apologize if my ??? seem silly but I do better when I am able to process as much as I can before this surgery and to mentally prepare myself as much as I possibly can.

I know it will be worse than I expect but knowledge is power.

Thank you for your replies

Cindy

0 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Here ya go...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-tkr-experience-or-wish-i-had-another-kidney-stone--524499

1. No doc tells you the whiole story...not even part of it (see the Post Op Depression section).

2. Even if you're "prepared" for this...you're not.  Then again, everyone is different.  One lady was off her meds and had a 0 / +115 ROM in 10 days...but she's the huge exception from the rule.  Everyone goes through this individually.

3. Do note "expect" ANYTHING!!!  Be Zen: "I'll be better when I'm better."  No getting around this.  Expectations are a waste of energy.

4. Diving?  NEVER while you're on the opiods...ever!!!  It will be a bit painful when you start again.  Then the pain turns into discomfort which turns into "Oh, that again?" which eventually goes away.  Could take a year or more.

5. Don't compare yourself to anyone else, especially the "recovered you" in your own mind.

Stay strong.  No excuses...do the work!!!

"Never give up.  Never surrender." - Tim Allen, Galaxy Quest

• Posted

Your information is so valuable. Thank you for covering so many issues.

Very helpful

• Posted

Had my right knee replaced in May. My surgeon told me as long as I felt safe I could drive. First had to be off pain meds, at about week seven. Second had to figure out how to get into my truck and third I used my last foot for brake. I drive an automatic and I'm very comfortable using my left foot. There was no way to even think about driving, for me, until after the swelling went down. Good luck and as you noted it could be more than you expected. I thought I would be back to work in 10-12 weeks, not going to happen.

• Posted

Thank you all for the replies about driving after tkr. Very helpful :-)
    • Posted

All the above is sound advice. Six weeks seems fairly typical. I was ready to drive a little earlier than that. We have pickup trucks so climbing aboard was a bit challenging. Used one of those little fold up stools until I had the strength back. So I didn't drive until then. The toughest problem wasn't driving. It was having the endurance to do the shopping once arrived. An aside: we have a small airplane and at eight months I still have some problems climbing aboard. Once in, the flying part is fine. Disembarking - Gravity is our friend! And of course, as mentioned numerous times - no drugs.

• Posted

I drove at six weeks post TKR with my surgeons blessing.My swelling and pain did not affect my ability to drive.I wasn't on painkillers as they don't do much for me..I just take Ibuprofen now and again. I was very aprehensive so just sat in the car in our drive at first to see how I managed the pedals. Then I drove cautiously round the block.Everything was fine, the hardest part was getting in and out of the car.

• Posted

Ha! You just took me back to my first driving experience post-op! To the T! Especially that it's harder to get in and out of the car then actually driving! Thanks for the flashback. smile

• Posted

Hi Cindy, good luck and work at your recovery! First thing you need is patience because this does take a while. I was driving by three weeks, not that far and very carefully, had to get back to work, nothing physical at first though. As soon as I got off the pain pills. It really depends on how you feel and what kind of vehicle. Getting in and out can be more challenging than the driving. I drive a truck so there is just more room to move. Of course you have to have enough leg strength and mobility to be safe.

You are going to hear from most people here how bad the pain can be. Not necessarily true for everyone, I didn't think it was that bad and I've heard this from others. So don't expect it, just deal with it as it comes, and definitely use your pain meds to control it, don't wait for it to get bad, take as directed and then try taking a little less and see how it feels.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.