Driving after tks

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all ,I had my tkr last January and I'm doing much better thanks to all ofyou for your help and support during the last 5 months ,but my question today has to do with my significant other he is having a tkr on both knees 6 weeks apart this fall and he's already asking why does he have to wait 6 weeks to drive after surgery? my answer was that's what the doctor says if any of you have a better answer to give him I'd appreciate your input ,thanks!!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I was told you would be on pain meds that long but could drive sooner if not using the meds! Mine is 8/3 so we will see.
  • Posted

Yes this forum does help a lot! I was told I could drive when I saw my Dr after 4 weeks as long as I was not taking anything stronger than extra strength tylenol. I can't imagine the bravery of having it done so close together. I am 3 months to the day and am just starting to sleep most nights well. I found it a very big surgery. But as for the driving if it is an automatic car and it is his left leg it might ONLY be 3 weeks but definitely not with the meds - it is comparable to driving and drinking! Good luck both of you.

• Posted

I drove two weeks after surgery on the leg not used for driving, and four weeks after for the driving leg. As he is having both knees done at once, he should wait. You must be able to bend the knee to accelerate and brake, and if you have to stop fast, you need the leg to work. He wont ask as much after the surgery. Lol
  • Posted

It’s a fairly standard insurance company requirement after any major surgery for starters, partly because of a aesthetics, plus chance of being on meds that could affect reaction time, not to mention ability to drive safely, be able to do emergency stop, not be distracted by pain etc. So there are good reasons and if he drives against insurance company policy he will invalidate his insurance. Plus it will probably hurt! 
  • Posted

Generally, Colleen, insurers like you to wait 6 weeks after ops to make sure the anaesthetics are totally out of our systems, but as we now are awake & do not have the full anaesthetic I'm not sure if that really is the case now?

Speak to your insurers. Also you need to be able to bend the knees to reach the pedals & most important be able to do an emergency stop! It can be different for each individual.

You should also notify DVLA! 

Marilyn 

XX

• Posted

Hi. I started driving at 4 weeks.  probably could have gone back at 3.  it was really easy.  I had my right knee done and I have stick shift (manual transmission). no problems at all

yes, pain meds are the problem.  don't take them and drive is my advice!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.