Driving after triple fusion

Posted , 6 users are following.

How long after a triple fusion was it before any one could drive I'm 10 weeks post op and currently not been behind the wheel just yet and it's starting to do my head in

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, depends on which foot, pain level, where you are, and if car is auto. I have had 2 fusions done. Both. Live in Australia, and my car is auto. Have been driving from 8 weeks. Good luck.
  • Posted

I'm 11wks post left ankle fusion and got 2 more weeks until my next set of X-rays to see if my ankle has fused. I know my consultant has recommended that I get an automatic car as I only have a manual at the moment.

I was going to have a try at driving my manual car first but it's looking like a new car maybe on the cards for me!

• Posted

Hi Morrismanc007. I had a right fusion in August last year and I too was worried about driving.I was advised that if I felt I was able to do an emergency stop without pain that driving would be safe.In actual fact it was about twenty weeks for me but I am seventy so healing is a bit slower.I found driving easier than walking so I'm sure you won't have a problem.I was still using a boot to walk.Just sit in the car and try the pedals to give yourself confidence.Wishing you a speedy recovery.Best wishes Nonita

• Posted

I'm now 15 weeks post op and able to drive my car with ease. Don't think I would take on a long journey as if does make my ankle and muscle in my leg ache. It's my right foot but can manage exceleration fine. I gave tried a emergency stop in local car park. Can't lie it was painful, but God forbid if you needed to apply brake for emergency then it would automatically kick in without a thought. I don't think there's need to change from manual to auto. Just heard a try in a supermarket car park where there's plenty of space. Good luck sx

• Posted

Thank you for that! Think I'm going to have a go at driving it later on...it's only a short journey and not much changing gear, I can use the cruise control too! 👍🏻

• Posted

Be very careful not to use cruise control on wet or icy roads. Very easy for cars to aqua plane in the rain. And omg we don't want accidents. You will find the fear factor high alter you encounter the first idiot driver you have to avoid. And in Australia we're not short on idiot drivers. 

• Posted

dr told me drive at 10 weeks I'd I felt safe and could apply brake fast. I felt good about it. Have done a lot of driving hurts a bit if I overdo it. Cruise control would be handy but have had rain almost every day so can't use it. Grieving is freedom. 

• Posted

I hate spelllcheck.  Driving is freedom. 🤣

• Posted

Mine is my left ankle that is fused it's just my luck to have bought a new car and not being able to drive it ??

• Posted

Darn. That would be frustrating. A good way of keeping low mileage tho. (Said with tongue in cheek) have you any kind friends with auto who would swap. 
    • Posted

With it being your left foot I think it would be easier, ad you can rest it in between gears. Give it a go. Just make sure you take someone with you to drive it there and back just in case you find it difficult. Good luck sx
  • Posted

I sat in it before to see if I could put the clutch down without it being too uncomfortable seemed ok but I'll have a word with my surgeon on Wednesday about it, I'll have to put up with the wife's driving till then 

• Posted

If your wife drives like me, she's a great driver.. Lol my hubby is great at driving lorries and buses but cars..... He's rubbish. Sx

• Posted

My husband thinks he's an amazing driver. I would agree if he were in a crash derby. I'm a very careful driver. He calls it over cautious when I slow down to turn a corner. I had to be cautious as I was with state Learner driver program. So I'm probably very over critical. (Back seat driver). 😇 I feel so much safer with me driving and funnily enough so does he. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.