Driving again

Posted , 12 users are following.

How many weeks after TKR on the left leg, is it recommended to start driving?

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

It depends on a few things. First, you cannot drive while still on opioids. Second, you have to be able to push hard on pedals and go from gas to brake quickly. That means you must be pain free. I am 7 weeks post op on right knee. Today I sat in my car and pushed on the pedals. No pain. Able to move quickly. I might be able to try a couple blocks tomorrow .this is really meaningless to you because it is your left knee. You just have to be able to have stamina, be pain free and off narcotics..
  • Posted

If you don't drive stick and don't need the foot, then whenever you want...just as long as you're NOT on any opioid medication.  Very bad choice.

• Posted

Will depend wether you're driving a car with a manual or automatic gearbox . Ask your doctor . Also a good idea to check with your insurance company .

• Posted

I was told when off narcs and had good control getting in and out of car. 
  • Posted

Hi I was told to wait 6 weeks as insurance does not cover you till then. Also consultant said to make sure good bend and was off high dose pain meds. I am in UK and have an automatic car so my left leg which i had relaced does not do anything while driving. Check with insurance and consultant.
  • Posted

Hi

Start driving When you are confident you can. To get into the car is a challenge when the knee bend is poor.

Also a little depends which leg you need for the brake.

Good healing

• Posted

I was 4 weeks and yes you have to be off your pain killers
  • Posted

Nancy,

Everyone is right. Off narcotic pain meds.

4-6wks is when the docs usually say but look at the advice.

Stick or auto?

Can you sit long enough for a trip with it bent?( i used puzzles to get me to be able to sit for longer periods w my feet down. I was used to elevating every time i sat down!)

Can you get in AND out of car? And back in again for rtn trip. Endurance is everything.

Take a short drive n see if your ready. You'll feel exhausted after uour first outing, but in a great way!

Good luck

smile

• Posted

My Dr. let me drive within 3 weeks, not a stick shift car, as long as I was not taking any pain killer, and no long distance drive. 
  • Posted

I am in Britain and to the best of my knowledge what Sue37592 says is legally the position in terms of insurance in this country. So, how would you feel if you were involved in an accident earlier than 6 weeks and your insurers refused to cover you ??

Also, and speaking as a professional driver, its absolutely no good sitting in a stationary vehicle and banging away at the pedals .... nor driving round a vacant parking lot and practicing emergancy stops. The only true test is to be out on the road at around 30 to 40 mph - you driving with your operated leg - with a passenger and get your passenger to bang on the dash and when you hear the bang hit the brakes in an emergency stop and see how you go. Just imagine a kid running out between cars in a row of parked cars. Can you stop OK or will you hit the kid ?Obviously when you do this on the highway just make sure it is an empty road !! Will your insurers cover you ?

I drive a manual car and had a partial right knee replacement and I was 8 weeks, however, in fairness I could have managed in 6 weeks it was just Christmas and New Year interferring with my surgeons appointments that made it 8 weeks. And your surgeon should be the one signing off on this too.

​John

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.