Driving and walking again after tendon repair surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, 

On the 22nd of January I dropped a glass blender and it sliced open my foot as well as severing two of my tendons, (the one that moves my foot up and down, when driving, and the one that is connected to my big toe) In currently in a hard cast. So far it’s been 4 weeks and I get it off in exactly 2 weeks and then I’ll be placed into a moon boot on March 6th.

Out of curiosity, how long do you all think I will have to be in my moon boot for and how long before I can drive again? If I took my moon boot off and tried to walk, what would happen? I’m really eager to walk again and get on with my life but even when my hard cast was removed after two weeks to remove my stitches, my foot felt incredibly heavy I couldn’t really move it at all, I guess that’s natural since my tendons weren’t at all healed though. 

Thanks everyone 

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

PLEASE please ,do not take off the boot and try to walk in till told to by the hospital or doctor ,it could be disastrous .
  • Posted

From someone that’s had 3 surgeries on her ankle in a year and a half the last one including lengthening of my Achilles’ tendon take your time. You can mess a lot up if you try walking too soon. The cam boots are a pain ask your doc if they have a lift for your other shoe so that you are walking evenly or your low back and hip on your good leg will start hurting. Also I’m not sure what state your in but I know in California if you try to drive with the boot or even remove the boot to drive and get into an accident you are automatically at fault because you are an “impaired” driver. But take your time..don’t rush it..trust me I know all about wanting to walk again. Also if they assign Physical Therapy make sure you do it..it’s a pain but it helps. If you have questions just ask and I’ll help you out as I can
    • Posted

Thanks so much for your help! After removing your boot how long was it until it felt normal and comfortable to walk again? 
    • Posted

It will take a few weeks once you are out of the boot to get really used to walking again. I’m 6 weeks out from surgery and 3 weeks out of the boot and it’s still not normal walking. I figure another 2 weeks or so and walking semi normal will happen. It will take about a month before you feel like you will be walking normal.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.