Driving glasses

Posted , 3 users are following.

i have very poor vision in left eye and my distance vision in my right eye is  deteriorating  I currently wear variafocals when I'm driving but am struggling with spacial awearnes and perifiral vision has anyone else experienced this and would I be better of with just distance glasses?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Terry, when did you last have your eyes tested and new specs?

I wear varifocals too and when I was having problems with them, I spoke to the Optometrist and he adjusted the prescription.

I would talk to your Optometrist and see what s/he advises.  You may need new specs more frequently than you do at the moment, in that case, single vision are cheaper to change frequently.

• Posted

Yes, if you are aware your vision is getting worse and you are driving you should be having regular eye tests to make sure you still meet the vision standards for driving. Most people are fine to drive in their varifocals once they've got used to them, but you may get a wider clear view for distance with just single vision distance glasses. See what your Optometrist thinks, if you mention you think you're having problems with your peripheral vision they can do a visual field test to check this too.
    • Posted

Hi

thanks for your reply,had eyes tested and re tested to confirm proscription is ok and optician is happy that it is so think it could be the variafocals so am going to get single vision glasses and give them a go!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.