Driving me nuts

Posted , 6 users are following.

i am on two weeks on Tuesday and my big toes is so dam uncomfortable in this cast. i have Had the cast split open and to readjusted twice due to swelling. now it feels like there’s a lump on the bottom of my foot with burning pain. Toe hurt so bad tonight... i think i wiggled it too much today. does anyone rkse wriggphle their toes?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

i am 8 weeks into my bunion surgery and i had a plate and screws put into my mid foot and bunion removed . i am now walking without boot but dies feel like a lump under my big toe but gradually going away , my big toe also hurts from the muscles healing . not sure the extent of ur surgery but give it time

• Posted

HI, sorry to hear your having a hard time. i went through the same thing, my cast was super tight and the way they positioned my big toe with the cast through the middle was supppper uncomfortable, but i didnt mess with the bandage as i was really worried about my big toe being moved out of the place they had aligned it. i actually called 111 and they sent out two nurses to look at my bandages - they didnt change them or do anything just advised me to try and handle it and keep it elevated- i took diclophenac and tried to just be patient(it was the most frustrating and uncomfortable time) i had my cast on for 4 WEEKS instead of 2, as there were delays in appointments with my consultant. i really would say go easy on wiggling your toes if it is causing u pain- bcos even after 5 weeks i get pain doing that, so i cant imagine after 2 weeks! id say give your gp or out patient service a call and see what they suggest. to be honest the pain and being uncomfortable with the cast/big toe, does seem to be a natural part of the process but do get a second opinion if its too much for you to handle. i had screws like you and my big toe does hurt underneath still. take it as easy as possible, its a long recovery process and your foot has been through a lot- but seek advice if its too much for you. take care x

• Posted

thank you everyone. When I look back at the post I realize that I was not spelling so good with my pain meds LOL. Yes this is super frustrating it seems like when I’m feeling better and the pain goes away and swelling goes down, not very long after it's right back to how it was. My first cast will be on for a total of three weeks and my appointment for the second cast, stitch removal and x-rays will be October 31. I already own an air cast from an on going ankle problem in the same leg and I am hoping that my surgeon will allow me to use this instead of the fiberglass cast that way i can adjust the air inside it when it swells.

• Posted

Hi

wriggling is not really the ideal thing to do till a bit further on.

The nerves start healing at about 2 weeks. Hence the ball of socks. This

• Posted

whoops.The ball of socks does ease. The nerves knitting also causes sharp needle like pains. This needs pain killers specific to nerve damage.

This surgery is frustrating , painful and boring. But if it works its amazing. Make sure you ask lots of questions about what to expect at each stage.

take it one day at a time.

• Posted

I am 8 months post op 2 bunions. Wires in my 2 big toes. Did not have casts, just bandages. Thought the pain would be much worse than what it actually was. It was damn uncomfortable at times. I am all healed up, neat scarring etc. And a bonus; plantar fasciitis that I suffered from for over 6 years is gone as my new walking gait emerged. You cannot hurry healing, so do what you have to do to make yourself comfortable

• Posted

I am fortunately 13 months out from my surgery last year. Long story short - it takes a long time for the nerves and seriously your whole foot - to get back to normal - the swelling in my foot was there - it seemed like forever. Even when I could walk on it again - the swelling would be better in the morning when I had been off my foot all night but by the end of day puffed up again. I over did it too early and ended up with tendonitis in the bottom of my foot - which was more miserable than the surgery. Be patient, be kind to your foot, do what your supposed to do and it will heal - it just takes a lot of time. At about the 10 month mark I felt pretty back to normal - my foot has healed great and I'm able to wear any kind of shoe I want. Good luck...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.