Driving Myself (5 Minutes From Home After Ankle Block/Local

Posted , 9 users are following.

I'm trying ro locate 411 as to whether its safe and permissable to drive home after bunion surgery (both bunions on left foot automatic vehicle). I may need to drive myself...literally 5 minutes.

Will NOT be using General Anesthesia.

I would so appreciate feedback & comments...

Thank you!

😁

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

You should have someone drive you. My wife couldn't drive for months. Be safe.

• Posted

Hi Dianna, no please do not even attempt this. Get a cab.

All the best, Hilly123

• Posted

I had a nerve block, no GA. I didn't quite understand from your message if you were having one or two bunions done. Even if you have one done, on left foot and can drive with your right in an automatic, I think the medical advice will be that you shouldn't. It was a bit of a surreal experience and I wouldn't want to have responsible for getting myself home! You may well feel OK, but if it is only 5mins, would you not be safer just getting a taxi?

• Posted

As I may be in a similar situation, and bearing in mind that it is your LEFT foot in an AUTOMATIC car (and thus you would not need to use that foot to drive), I would like to have said 'yes, go ahead'.  However, I understand that your insurance will not cover you - insurance companies aren't really interested in 'details', only that you are driving immediately after an operation and probably against the advice of the surgeon.  As it is such a short distance, I would get a taxi or bus (both ways, so you are not left with your car in the hospital car park), for your own sake and also to stop the worry if in that short distance you cause an accident. 

• Posted

Hi, even without a general and only an ankle block, I was given Ativan to relax thru the procedure and there is no way I would drive afterwards.

I was awake but was so relaxed I didn't care what they were doing to my foot lol

Are you sure they won't be giving you anything at all??

It's rattling enough to know you've just had invasive surgery and since you will be awake, you will hear everything and it will be fresh in your head .....

Don't drive! Cab is easy.

S : )

• Posted

Hello DiAnna.  I would think your surgeon would advise against it.  Your foot will be heavily bandaged and you will be wearing a large surgical shoe.  I was put in  a wheel chair and the nurse pushed me to the car, in no way was I allowed to walk.  When I got home I found it incredibly difficult to get about.  In any case, you will be told not to drive for six weeks and if anything did happen on the way home, your insurance would be invalidated.  Perhaps you could ask a neighbour or friend to drop you off and pick you up when you are ready to come home.  You must follow the hospital's instructions on after care, particularly where the next 48 hours are concerned, only walking from bed to bathroom.  Good luck with your op.

• Posted

YOu can only drive if it is not the foot that has the surgury. I suggest you have a friend drive you if you can get a friend.If you cant get a friend get a car service.

Good luck

Charlotte

• Posted

I couldn't weight-bear for 2 weeks after surgery but I had GA. Take a cab or have a friend drive you. plus won't they give you some kind of pain killer? Five minutes or not, I'd get a cab.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.