Driving with the boot on

Posted , 10 users are following.

I'm happy to be amongst other people with ankle issues. I'm going crazy looking outside at my car while i depend on family and friends to drive me around. Some come late or not at all and I'm sick of it. In 2 weeks I will be permitted to wear a boot. Have any of you even tried driving with a boot on? 

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Mine is on my right foot, so I am not allowed to drive with the boot. It specifically says on my doctor's papers that I can't drive with the boot on my right foot. I don't think you could feel the pedals.  It seems very dangerous.  I am stuck for another month with the boot and have to rely on others or a taxi to get around. Just ordered my first online grocery delivery today. Good luck!

• Posted

If your UK based you are not allowed to drive in a boot unless you've got an automatic and it depends which leg is broke you have to be able to perform an emergency stop if you have an accident your insurance is invalidated

• Posted

I'm in Canada. Even with an automatic you can't drive unless it is on your left foot. Such a huge bummer but I get it.  6 weeks without driving, 4 kids and a husband that travels...eek!  It will get better and we will feel back to normal soon.  Get well and take it easy!

• Posted

Carrie,

I drove with the boot on. My left ankle was broken so it was fine using the right foot.

Carol

• Posted

Hi.

You are NOT allowed. You will be in serious trouble by law. πŸ™‚

• Posted

Gas or brake pedal, NO GO. No insurance company would cover that.

I don't even drive yet 9 months post snap of fibula, 5 months post bone graft.

Patience Grasshopper!

@(*+*)@

• Posted

I like that Titus "Patience Grasshopper". I'm in the same boat and it is definitely a time to learn patience. You have to wait on others instead of being independent. Still learning.

• Posted

Thanks everyone for the replys. I was just feeling sorry for myself. I did break my right ankle in two places May 10th and im going nuts sitting around. I saw what the boot looks like and realize i would not be able to feel the pedals. Looks like no driving for a while. I hope it's not as long as you Titus.

• Posted

We're all bored, fed up. You need a hobby. Laptop. Book, PS4.I'm into Ukelele . 9 months of it I'm getting quite good!

My husband broke his hand 3 weeks after me. Both had non unions and operations. Mine a bone graft. We know what being at someone else's misery is like. And now my husband has shingles!

Good luck in your recovery. I'm into 39th week and can't walk long unaided. Had 10 casts, 4 moonboot, knee scooter, crutches, all terrain walker, and a stair lift.

Well all get there.

One day at a time...??????????????????

• Posted

Yes we all get like that I had spiral breaks on my tibia fibia and fractured my ankle I've now been 2 months out. Just over a week to go I lose the boot and can then sit in the driving seat again. But have to practice in the garage area first. Have to be able to perform an emergency stop. I'm really dreading it but it's the next challenge.

I fully recommend colouring books for adults it whiles the time away very quickly.

• Posted

Snap, oops, yes Sarah. When I broke my Fibula a friend sent me one. Mindful colouring. Birds theme. Great for forgetting about pain, stress and totally everything. You just reminded me. I need to get mine out again! 🌈🌻🌼🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.