droop over eye following surgery

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had cataract surgery in mid-December and have been very happy with the result, except that recently I've noticed the skin over that eye is drooping to the extent that it's beginning to affect my peripheral vision.

I've found one reference on the internet to this being a possible after effect of cataract surgery and intend to contact the public hospital eye clinic where I had the surgery, but I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this and what was the outcome?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello, I'm a medical student and we're currently studing the nervous system in class right now, so don't take my advice as medical advice!

By skin, do you mean the actual skin above your eyelid, or the eyelid itself is drooping? If the eyelid is drooping, you may be experiencing something called ptosis. If this is the case, the surgery may have accidentally damaged one of the nerves going to your eye, or one of the muscles controlling your eyelid. I would definitely call up the clinic.

Look into the mirror. Does the pupil in the surgery eye react properly to light? Does it constrict when light is shined into it and dilate in the dark? Are you able to properly move your eye up, down, left, and right in the full range of movement? These are probably things the clinic will test to narrow down what might be wrong and are important syptoms in determining whether you might have a nerve or muscle lesion.

• Posted

I too have been left with a droopy eyelid after cataract surgery and my eye has a dead feeling. I had a really rough surgeon and when she took the clip off I yelled.

I did your test with the light and the pupil is smaller than the other eye.

Can the nerve/muscle repair itself, my operation was 2 years ago. 

• Posted

OK this is my third attempt to respond to your helptful post:  maybe when I have the second catarct surgery I won't hit whatever key it is that vanishes my posts to who knows where ....

It's definitely the skin above the eyelild and not the eyelid itself.  I found entries for Ptosis on the internet, but they all refer to the eyelid only and although not stated specifically as far as I could find, 6 weeks after surgery doesn't seem to be when Ptosis develops.

My pupil dilation & constriction and eye movement all seem ok so I'm not too worried, but I will contact the clinic this morning & see what they say.   I had a follow up appointment a week after surgery and then another one at the opthamology clinic 10 days ago for a new glasses prescription and was told everything was ok:  my impression is that the drooping began a few days after that second appointment, which is around when I finished the cortisone & antibiotic eyedrops which were prescribed after surgery.

Thank you for your response and I will report back to this forum when I have more information

• Posted

If the pupil of the injured eye is smaller, you may have something called Horner syndrome from nerve damage during the operation. Does the injured side of the face sweat less than the rest of your face? If so, you probably have Horner's. I would go back to the surgeon or clinic to confirm and perhaps file a complaint, but it doesn't look like there is any treatment, especially if it was the result of surgery sad
  • Posted

I have been left with a droopy eyelid and a dry eye after cataract surgery.  I haven't seen anyone regarding this, so I would be interested to know what they tell you.  It is horrible to be left like this.
    • Posted

I will report back when I know more.   How long ago was your surgery and have you asked for an explanation?    That does sound like Ptosis which from my internet research can clear up by itself, but should still be checked out
    • Posted

PS:   Dry eye is easy to remedy with over the counter eyedrops - talk to your pharmacist about the best ones to use.    I've had it in both eyes for a while and only realised recently that it's probably a negative effect from the COPD medication I use.    The opthamologist told me it's important to use eyedrops because the dryness can adversely affect vision, which I hadn't realised
  • Posted

Had cataract surgery about three months ago on both eyes.  Surgery went well and the only issue I had was a reaction to the steroid drops.  The doctor prescribed another eye drop to counteract the steroid.  About two weeks after surgery I noticed that both eyelids were drooping...not a lot, but just enough to be noticeable.  As time went on the drooping became worse and bags began forming under my eyes. My lids are actually pushing my eyelashes down.  I called the doctor today because both lids are drooping so much they're interfering with my vision.  I was informed that the drooping had nothing to do with the surgery, it never happens and it's just a coincidence.  BS! I am beyond angry at his response.  

This man is supposed to be the leading cataract surgeon in the southeast.  Once again, BS.  

I no longer look like myself.  People think I've been crying or that I'm incredibly tired.  I actually make a conscious attempt to avoid my reflection.   I know this sounds incredibly vain, but truly, my vanity is within normal parameters.  I don't want to look like I'm 20, I just want my old eyes back.  

This blasted Doctor wouldn't even give me the consideration of an appointment to discuss the issue and possible remedies.  I'm so angry I could just spit.

There, I've ranted enough.  I'm currently looking for a doctor to repair my lids.  The thought of another surgery on my eyes scares me to death, but I don't want to tilt my head back to see something and I don't want to look like this. 

I can deal with the flickering, the extreme light sensitivity, and the flashes of light in the morning...but the fact that he discounted the drooping, it just adds insult to injury.

has anyone else had surgery to correct the ptosis?

• Posted

Two years on still have a dry eye (which is not easily fixed) and a droopy eyelid and a smaller pupil than in my other eye - life is not easy.  And still trying to recover emotionally from the actual butchering my eye took during the surgery.
    • Posted

Have you tried the gel eye drops?  I hate them all, but the gel lasts a little longer
  • Posted

Thank you.  Any particular brand?
    • Posted

You're welcome.  Refresh Liquigel.  I'm not a fan of dropping anything in my eyes, but at least this lasts a tad longer than the regular kind.

how do you deal with it all?  I just sent a before and after to my son and he was appalled.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.