drooping mouth, same side as twitching.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I am having MVD in January to remedy a facial twitch, hfc. I 'm wondering if any one knows if the blood vessel touching the nerve has any relation to the mouth drooping on one side. Thanks.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mark.  Pleased to hear that you are biting the bullet in January and hopefully getting fully fixed.  Some people do suffer a degree of mouth drooping because of Botox treatments, whilst others experience the pull up of one side of the mouth due to tonus spasms (the latter in my own case).  Where are you having your surgery if you don't mind me asking?  I had mine with Nik Patel in Bristol, UK in June 2013; the best day's work I ever did.  My surgeon did tell me that Bell's Palsy (facial droop) can be a side effect of the surgery and it usually presents itself about one week after surgery if it is going to do so.  But, the good news is that it gets better within 3 months or less.  It's best to allow yourself plenty of recovery time after the surgery.  It is a big operation and needs a lot of respect in terms of resting LOTS, particularly in the first 6 weeks post op.  Anyway, I am digressing from the question.  Please let me know if there is any other question you want to ask.  If I don't know the answer then it's likely that I will know someone who does (from the Facebook forums).  All best wishes for a successful operation.  Roseann
    • Posted

Hello Roseann,

Thank you for your reply, glad to hear it all went well for you.

Mr. J.D. Palmer will be doing my MVD procedure at Derriford hospital Plymouth on 23/01/2015, strangely enough, I am looking forward to it.

As for the mouth dropping slightly on one side, I can' t find any literature that nails down the cause, and therefore any steps I could take to remredy it, but never mind, it will be a great relief to be free of this hideous twitching!

Kind Regards,

Mark.

• Posted

Hi again Mark,

Thanks for telling me about Mr J D Palmer and Derriford.  We know Plymouth well because my husband comes from there.  I only know of one other person who was operated on at Derriford and that was some time ago with a different surgeon (came out spasm free but sadly with some hearing loss).  I hope you'll let us know how it goes and allow us to follow your progress as you return to full health.  In the meantime, wish you all the luck in the world and a safe and speedy recovery.

Just one more question.............   Are you a member of the Facebook group?  If not, then I would recommend you join because there is so much useful info on there.  I would recommend the Facebook Hemifacial Spasm International Support Group as the one with the most up to date information, as well as knowledgeable supporters.  Take good care and keep looking forward to being free of this blight.  All best, Roseann (real name is Angela Bond)

• Posted

Hi Mark,

When I had HFS it afected the left side of my face.  When I would twitch the left side of my mouth would be pulled up towards my cheek.  My smile was not symmetrical; the left side of my mouth would not go as high as the right side of my mouth.  When I tried botox the treatment made the left side of my face droopy.  So, I would say yes the artery putting pressure on my nreve afected my mouth, but not to the extent that it made my outh droop.

• Posted

Hello Camas, Thank you for your reply, it has brought me a little closer to a reason for the drooping and shows there may be a relation between it and HFS.

How, may I ask, are your symptoms now Camus?

Regards,

Mark.

• Posted

Mark,

I hate that this site doesn't have spell check.  On July 7, 2010 I had MVD surgery at the University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle.  Dr. Rostomily was my surgeon.  I have not had any spasms since the surgery, but I still have to take pain medications and muscle relaxers.  The surgery made the left side of my neck pretty stiff.  I forgot to tell you that when I had HFS that I lost most of the muscle tone on the left side of my face.  The only thing that was controlling that side of my face was the nerve twitching.  Because of the pain I occasionally still get depressed.  I wonder why I never see any advice or comments from any physocians on this blog?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.