Droopy eye after corneal abrasion, when does my injured eye fully open?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi All,

I am 29 years old and I had a corneal abrasion exactly a month ago and I went to the doctor and he said it was not too bad and that the abrasion should fully heal in a couple of days. Well, he was right and I did feel better but I noticed that my eyelid was still considerably droopy. After a month, I can say that my eyelid has improved a lot but it is not yet how it was before my injury. People cannot really tell when they look at me (unless I point it out to them) but when I take pictures you can really tell. Basically in pictures, it looks like one eye is bigger than the other one. I'm getting worried that this is how my eye is going to stay. I would really appreciate someone letting me know if my eyelid is going to fully open up to the way it was before my corneal abrasion and if so, how long does it take? Keep in mind, it already has been a month. Someone with a similar experience that has gone through this? Thank you!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

My daughter is 30 and it never occurred to me how stressful life is for your generation until she told me to imagine having to worry about people taking photographs practically all.the.time. You never know who is going to take your photo or where it's going to end up being posted! So, I understand why you're worried that one eye might look bigger than the other. The good news is that the corneal abrasion has healed! One thing most of us have learned in this forum is that a lot of patience is needed when healing from any type of eye injury or surgery. So I would recommend that you give it a bit more time since you may still have some swelling. Also, consider that maybe your eyes have always been this way and you never paid particularly close attention until the injury occurred. After my surgery I was convinced that the pupil in my eye was permanently larger than the uninjured eye... turns out it wasn't. You say that most people don't notice and you only notice it when looking at photos. It's doubtful anyone else is looking at the photos as closely as you are so try not to worry too much. And check with your eye doctor for their opinion. Please keep us posted, ok? Your story will help others who come here with similar issues.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply! Yes, I have considered that my eye has always been this way but luckily I have accumulated plenty of photos of myself over the years that clearly show that my eyes looked normal before the injury. Now, no matter what angle I take pictures, you can always see that one eye is bigger than the other one. Hopefully, it is because there is still a little bit of swelling but I just cannot believe that it will take even longer than a month for it to go all the way down. Ugh! I'll keep you guys posted and hopefully I can deliver good news soon.

• Posted

If it turns out that somehow your eye injury caused a droopy lid, also know that it can be fixed with surgery. A stitch here, and a stitch there. My husband had his eyelids lifted because with age they tend to droop down to the point it can partially block your vision. His surgery was a success although for the first three months he always had this expression of "surprise" because his eyes were so wide open haha It's much better now though. Take good care!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.