Drop in INR

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi As you know I suffer from AF and have been on warfrin for 18months 

and my INR has been good,however for the last three readings it has gone from 2.3 to2..00 then 1.8 and today 1.5,needless to say I,m rather worried and cannot get any real answers as to why this is happening,  it as it has been perfect for nearly a year.

The hospital changed my meds to 62.5mcg Digoxin and the GP changed my BP tabs to 2.5 mg Bendroflumethiazide,which I understand can cause a problem being taken together. At the present time I.m not to worried about this,as I have only been on them for 5days and will speak to the GP again in the morning,my real worry is the INR can  anyone tell me why it has dropped so much and am I right it being so concerned.

Thanks Pauline

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi Pauline, only yesterday I was discussing how unpredictable my own INR can be with the nurse at my doctor's surgery. Mine seems to be level for a while and then suddenly and for no good reason it will either be higher or lower. The same applies to several of my friends also on Warfarin. She said that some people's readings stay level all the time while other people's readings are all over the place. The benefit of Warfarin is that it is easy to adjust the dosage. I don't think you should worry too much, it will soon level out with an adjusted dosage.

• Posted

If u can get your insurance to pay for it and don't have any valve or other heart problems, u might want to ask your doc about some of the newer blood thinners that don't have dietary or monitoring restrictions. 

• Posted

Foods containing vitamin k affect INR. Green vegetables, tomatoes,lettuce, celery etc etc.

I always increase my dose by a little if I have eaten a meal containing high vit.k

• Posted

Hi Pauline,

Yeah this happens to me every now and then and has done on and off for the last 7 years. No great worry.

?Usually what fixes it for me is a minor change in the dose pattern during the week. Its as simple as that. Other times the INR Nurse has changed the weekly pattern and maybe sometimes increased the weekly dose by 1 mg. All depends. Can't tell you why yours has dropped anymore than I can say why mine did/does. Most likely you have innocently eaten something with a large amount of vitamin K which has interacted with the Warfarin.

When I was put on Warfarin in the beginning they also discontinued the Bendroflumethiazide too.

don't stress over it - it'll only make it and you feel worse. If it stays at 1.5 for several readings then best talk to your GP.

?I have twice had to temporarily come off Warfarin, once for a CT Scan and the other for major surgery - a partial knee replacement. Went back on it again afterwards with no problems.

?I have a self testing machine and I always test more frequently than the INR Nurse tells me to - gives me an added peace of mind. That way if there is a sudden drop in INR (or an increase for that matter - yes - it can equally climb for no reason either and again sometimes mine does that and goes up to 3.5 - in some people it goes higher - no sweat, tell your GP or INR Nurse) then I can see it and monitor it myself even more frequently. all this is part of the Warfarin scene, so don't worry. There have been times when I just tweak my own dose by small amounts.

?John

• Posted

Thanks John feeling more re assured to day.

Pauline

• Posted

Hi Pauline,INR can be affected by what you eat . I know that eggs and leafy green vegetables make a difference as they contain vitamin K so eating more of these than usual woul lower your INR readings

• Posted

Hi Pauline, I am on Warfarin also, and my INR target is 2.5 and in the past I have had low readings. As long as your Warfarin dosage gets adjusted after you've had your blood test which depends on what the reading is then, I don't think you have anything to worry about. I remember a nurse telling me not long after I started taking Warfarin back in 2011 that just about anything can affect your INR. However, there are certain foods that one has to watch because of the vitamin K. Have a word with the Anticoagulant department for reassurance. Good Luck 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.