drs letter to support autism

Posted , 4 users are following.

can anyone help me, ive recently been diagnosed as autistic, and im in the process of trying to get my cats to move into my flat as therapy pets. for this i was told i needed a letter from my dr and since it has been written i cant collect it as they are charging me £16 for the letter. is this fair, especially for someone that is autistic and has very bad anxiety and is currently receiving benefits? please help.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amy,

Yes i'm afraid most GP surgeries do charge for any letters they write. Doesn't matter if it's fair or not, they still charge. I'm sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear. I'm sorry i can't offer you anymore advice but GP's charging is just the way it is. Maybe you have some family that could help you pay for this charge?

• Posted

That seems fair l had to pay £20 for my letter

• Posted

My husband paid £50 to the doctors surgery for a copy of my medical records & my brother has just paid £100 for a medical from his doctor.  Talk about taking your eyes out & coming back for the sockets.  eek

• Posted

that doesnt seem right to have to pay for either your medical notes, or to actually have a medical, i thought to have medicals and registered with the NHS there are no charges, what is happening with our gps?
    • Posted

Sadly now you have to pay.  I was hesitant when my husband said he was going to pay the £50 for my medical records, but he did point out that in the long run it could pay off, as he needed the information when filling the forms in for PIP. 

• Posted

it does seem strange, especially to pay for your records, but i do hope you find it does pay off in the long run.
    • Posted

Paying for your medical records is also normal. Most GP surgeries charge for medical records, letters, everything.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.