drug dependency because of knee surgery?

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello,

My husband has an old neck fushion and some lower back pain that he has tizanadine and tramadol for. He just got a TKR. He is taking 3 tramadol a night. I told him he only gets one a night and he took all 3!! I am concerned he is becomeing a perscription drug addict. Am Ijust being a heartless bitch or is he abusing drugs?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a TKR in January 2015.  I have to say that it is a very painful procedure, and the necessary physiotherapy afterwards is also very trying.  i took Zaldiar, which is a mixture of paracetamol and tramadol for about seven weeks, so in fact I was taking about 100 mg tramadol a day (30 in each of three tablets)  Occasionally I took two when I knew the physiotherapist was going to subject me to another round of torture. . . .  When I first decided (because I had run out of tablets) to stop taking it, the side effects were really pretty bad. . diarrhoea, hallucinations, terrible 'real' dreams, stomach cramps, irritibility, inability to stay still in bed, dry mouth, headache etc.etc. .so I got myself some more tablets, and started weaning myself off them gradually. it was not easy, but in my case it was possible.  Not knowing the strength of the tramadol he is taking, it does on the face of it seem to be a lot.  I know sleep is very difficult after TKR, and he may also be having nerve pain (I did . . it was horrific)  but I don't think you are being over cautious.  tramadol is a sort of synthetic opiate, and as such, it is easy to become dependent, or even addicted.  Help and sjupport though, are wonderful after a TKR . . . .and I;m sure he 's getting that from you.  Poor chap . . I'm glad I'm over it now, but nor sure if I would do it again!

• Posted

Thank you Martin,

A while back Iposted it was 50. I will keep all your symptoms in mind. Luckily he hasnt taken anyone for a couple of days. He is trying to be good. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.