Drug Induced Ear Ringing - Citalopram

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hello All, 

2 weeks and 5 days ago, I started taking Citalopram 40mg. I was told by several pharmacists, psych docs, and a neurologist that this drug was dosed way too high by my primary care doc. This should have been titrated up over a period of several weeks. I took this pill 2 times and stopped asap after the third morning I woke up with ear ringing. I also aquired msucle twitches and severe head pressure with this ear ringing. The muscle twitches and head pressure is hardly there at this point. However, the ear ringing still remains. I have had an ENT doc and several psych docs tell me this will leave. I have found that if I do not notice it, it is not a loud. I find it hard to go to sleep, so I use some white noise. I have cried at times, but try not to do that. I find I miss my silence. I am set to see a neurologist in the near future with a possible MRI test. My question is, has anyone ever had a drug do this to them? If so, did the ear ringing subside? If so, how long did it take? Lastly, could 2 pills actually cause permanant ear ringing or damage?

Thank you for your time and response,

Heather 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I am just starting week 5 on 20 MG and I suffer from the Ringing ears. (TINITUS) Sometimes crazy loud some times not so bad. I despise it! So annoying. Apparently one of the side effects with this drug and it should subside in time. Are you taking anything else? I have read that benzo's - valuim and ativan can also cause tinitus.

Anyway know you are not alone with this damn side effect!

• Posted

Thanks for the response. This was my first attempt with any anxiety drug like this. When I got the ear ringing I stopped taking it asap. Honestly it freaked me out and turned me off to it. Before this I took an occasional 0.5mg xanax prn.
  • Posted

Hi Heather

I started on 10mg of Citalopram nearly 5 months ago and I do have slight tinnitus in my left ear which did get a bit louder through the medication this is normal but now it seems to have gone quieter after a few months so don't worry it is a common side effect with some people. I am currently on 15mg and have been for 4 months and have my life back and feel normal again so hope you feel better soon

• Posted

Hello Debbie, 

Thank you for your repsonse. Has yours completely left, or does it still remain. I am hoping since I stopped this new medication asap that the ear ringing will reside. 

Heather 

• Posted

Hello Heather

Mine is still in one ear but I have had that for 3 years now and it doesn't really bother me I just noticed it went louder with meds but I'm not sure if it's got a bit better now or I'm used to it now. Hope this helps

• Posted

a few months ago i started a course of citalopram and after i upped the dose i started to experience horrbile tinnitus too. I went back to the docs who just in a matter of fact way told me it or may not end up being permenant which just made my anxiety 10 times worse. Bearing in mind this was the first fortnight of starting the drug which is always a tough couple of weeks. I immediately came off the drug and at first i didn't think it was going away but eventually it did after several weeks. I've not started any medication since that time as I'm too scared it might happen again and end up being permenant so have to try and get better in other ways without drugs. I am not willing to damage my hearing in the way.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.