Drug Induced Tinnitus! Will This Go Away?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello All, 

2 weeks and 5 days ago, I started taking Citalopram 40mg. I was told by several pharmacists, psych docs, and a neurologist that this drug was dosed way too high by my primary care doc. This should have been titrated up over a period of several weeks. I took this pill 2 times and stopped asap after the third morning I woke up with ear ringing. I also aquired msucle twitches and severe head pressure with this ear ringing. The muscle twitches and head pressure is hardly there at this point. However, the ear ringing still remains. I have had an ENT doc and several psych docs tell me this will leave. I have found that if I do not notice it, it is not a loud. I find it hard to go to sleep, so I use some white noise. I have cried at times, but try not to do that. I find I miss my silence. I am set to see a neurologist in the near future with a possible MRI test. My question is, has anyone ever had a drug do this to them? If so, did the ear ringing subside? If so, how long did it take? Lastly, could 2 pills actually cause permanant ear ringing or damage?

Thank you for your time and response,

Heather 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

Hi,sorry to hear About your tinnitus. I doubt 2 pills would cause this.

I have been suffering constant bilateral tinnitus 5 month now and do not know what caused mine. I was taking ibuprofen at time for a neck injury and  I have thought was it this.was it the neck injury or are the doctor s right and it was my stress that caused it?

I don't think we will ever know the cause. That's good you are getting Mir to rule out anything serious. Hopefully with you only having it a few weeks it will subside. I know how difficult it is but try and stay calm . I didn't, I panicked and stressed and maybe that is what has made mine worse so try not to do the same.

Hugh

• Edited

Two pills absolutely can trigger tinnitus. I took Augmentin 2 years ago which doubled the volume of my tinnitus. It’s never for back to baseline since then. All it took was one dose. 
  • Posted

How is your tinnitus? Did it stay or go? I got it from 3 days of sertraline.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.