Drug trial

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Folks, this is my first post and i am heartened by the support that contributors freely give to each other here.  My bronchiectasis is of the mild sort with some coughing and production. I am 74.  I am curious to hear about your opinions on inhaled gentamicin (nebulised) as I am shadowing a UK trial of the drug, about to kick off next month, as an absolute beginner.  Has any one of you any experience of gentamicin, its pros and cons?  I hasten to add that I have never inhaled the stuff by any method of delivery and am interested only as an observer on a learning curve about trials and patients who volunteer. Can anyone help?

Terry.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Terry

i am sorry that you're got the dreaded bronchiectasis! I wish you a full recovery. I've used Gentamicin for a year, alternating with another inhaled antibiotic on a monthly basis. No side affect as such, but some people do get breathless. If that happens to you, please immediately speak to your doctor. Also, it is very important to make sure your inhaler equipment is kept very clean. I use baby bottle sterilising liquid, as well as a weekly blitz using bottle sterilisation steam machine. This way you are reducing the bugs developing on the equipment that you have to use daily.

Good luck, and stay healthy.

• Posted

Brilliant Sparkright and thanks for your advice. What is your other antibiotic? i don't actually use gentamicin and as I explained I am merely observing its usage in trials. I have used salbutamol and seretide when I was misdiagnosed with asthma but don't use any inhaler just now.
    • Posted

Hi, have recently joined to this site. Found your info on cleansing inhaler equipment very good. (The instructions when you get with it only tells you to wash it with Hot Water and Cleansing Liquid, once per mth not very informative) I will try your suggestion sounds far better. I was diadnosed with mild Bronciectasis last Sept. then last week told I have now got Asthma as well. I also now take Seretide morning and night plus Salbutamol aprox 3 times a day. Just hope I don't get any worse because I have 6 other serious illnesses as well. Now 70 I sometimes feel I've had mu 3 score yrs and 10. Stop the world I want to get off!
  • Posted

Hi Terry, I have been using Gentamicin for about 7 or more years now with no side effects.  I like that I take my medication through a nebulizer as it goes strait to the lungs unlike tablets that have to pass through your body.

I am 70 years old and have had a lung condition for 68 years.

Although my condition has worsened over the years, I still do not let it stop me  having a reasonable quality of life and enjoying my days

Having said this I follow all the rules to keep well.

Medication and posteral drainage daily, along with a good diet.

Best wishes to you in keeping well.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.