Drugs info needed to treat Sjogrens

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been suffering for years from dry eye and dry mouth. When someone told me about Sjogren's I decided to have the blood test done . However it was negative . But I'm still treating my eyes with restasis and Omega 3 . And my rheumatologist is trying to treat my dry mouth with medication. The first one she gave me was Plaquenil, but it made me nauseous. So she just called in cevimeline. Has anyone on here ever tried this medication? And if so how did it work for you? I already take prednisone for another autoimmune disease.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amkoffee

I use evoxac/cevimeline, have used it for at least 14 years. I find it very helpful for eyes, nose and mouth. However, at higher doses it makes my upper eyelids ultra puffy, dangerously so for driving, and causes ridiculously copious amounts of headsweating. In both cases it's exaggerating my natural tendencies: hooded eyes coming down through the ages in mom's family, ease and copious amounts of body sweating. Both became more manageable when I went back to a middling dosage.

Haven't had any other problems with it and am very thankful that it helps me.

• Posted

Hello amoffee

I saw your question and being a newly person diagnosed(not officially with a biopsy) the problems are huge with dry moth and eyes.  I am currently using Cevimeline and it is much better than the pilocarpine for me that is.  The biggest problem is sweating.  That can be such a problem especially at night.  Currently adjusting so that I do not take last pill at least three hours before bedtime.  I also use Fish Oil/Omega 3 daily along with Xiiledra for the eyes, which has been a God send.  I am finding the Gluten free products makes rating and digesting easier.  So I am slowly  implementing this into my diet also.  I also have MS, possible lupus with Sjogrens.. The Plaquenil I could not take after my eye doctor warned me that since I have impaired vision on right side, not worth it to lose what I have in left eye.

Hope this has been of help to you  You are definitely not alone!!

Phyllis Soriano

• Posted

Hi Phyllis

I use cevimeline and am curious about how much you're taking if you have problems with sweating.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.