Drugs With Sexual Side Effects

Posted , 5 users are following.

Note that many of the drugs listed below are passed on to you with no warning from the doctor. Always check a drug out on the web before you take it. Look at several sources, and ask specifically about sexual side effects. With some of these drugs, the sexual side effects do not go away after you stop taking the drug. Many of these drugs are also used to treat BPH.

• Anti-anxiety drugs

• Antiepileptic drugs

Antidepressants

Antihistamines

• Antipsychotics

• Benzodiazepines

• Blood pressure medications, including diuretics (water pills)

Chemotherapy drugs

• Estrogen-containing drugs

• Finasteride

• Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)

• Opioids

• Oral contraceptives

• Parkinson’s disease medications

• Prostate cancer medications

Alcohol and recreational drugs (such as marijuana, cocaine, heroin, nicotine, and methadone) can also have sexual side effects.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

True, but it's difficult to assess the real risks of sexual side effects.

Calcium Channel Blockers like Amlodipine are listed as having a possible side effect of breast development in males.  However the other side of that coin is that there are very few reported possible incidents -- too few to be statistically significant -- and most or all of these are in patients within an age group where there's a 50-70% probability of gynaecomastia anyway.  So even though I establish that the breast growth is real, on the basis of the actual reported incidence there would appear to be little reason to being the matter to my doctor as probably caused by Amlodipine.  Indeed, little reason to bring it to my doctor at all, because most males my age would have a degree of gynecomastia anyway.

• Posted

Hi Coigach,

What you say is partially correct.

When something is listed as a potential side effect, it means that more than a statistical probability of those tested with the medication experienced the side effect. Drug companies don't like to list side effects, they are made to list them by governments. On the other hand, in most cases, it doesn't mean that everyone taking the medication will experience the side effect.

That said, in most countries, the physician is required to get INFORMED consent (emphasis mine)

before performing a procedure or providing a medication. In many instances that simply doesn't happen when it comes to many side effects, particularly sexual side effects. That's why I published the list, so that patients, and those who love them, can be informed whether or not the physicians do it.

The chance of sexual side effects with many of the medications in that list is unambiguously high, and men should be careful, or at least, informed before using them.

Neal Pros

• Posted

HI Neal - good list - thanks. Did your PAEs (3?) have any lasting benefit? What else are you looking at?

Howard 

• Posted

Yes, they did. My BPH was much better after the third one. It has taken between 3m6 months and a year, and 2still seem to be improving. The main thing is that some things aggravate my prostate and my urination slows down some, and I am up more at night. So:

Watch out how much you drink. I was drinking 3.5 liters per day. Normal for an adult male is 1.5. When I cut down, I do better

Watch out for alcohol and or caffeine. Both cause trouble.

These are life choices . But with the 3rd PAE, and being mindful, I do much better.

• Posted

Did you have the same IR for all three? I am just curious what they differently on the 3rd one that finally worked for you. Glad to hear the good news. Did you CIC at one time?
    • Posted

Hi Howard,

The first two were done by one IR, the third by another.

When I asked the second one why his worked, and the others didn't, he said, "It's like when you wife tries to open a jar of pickles and can't, and hands it to you, and you open it easily. Maybe she partially opened it." I don't really know. Perhaps that is the reason, or perhaps the second IR is more skilled. I just don't know.

Neal

• Posted

May I ask you who the 2nd doctor was? I might want to give it a try myself. Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.