Dry brittle hair?

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone else noticed that their hair has become really dry and lack lustre and brittle since periods stopped. My hair used to be quite nice and thick, but now it seems horrible and thin.  I just put it up most of the time - its quite long, and I still get little bits of hair sticking up everywhere as if I've just had an electric shock. Used all the recommended treatments under the sun, including sticking olive oil on it - and it still goes back to being awful.  Is this something I just have to live with now and get used to it?

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi, yes my hair is all brittle and dry and skin, but that is normal until menopause over,I don't spend to much ch money on it just wash and condition it no fun with peri
  • Posted

Hi Ursula it's hormone fluctuations I found I had bits of hair sticking up and my hairdresser said it was showing hair loss . She is brilliant and cuts to help the hair grow when the hormones have stopped faffing about sadly it's all menopause and you soon realize when it starts its a pattern. But the good news is when it stops your hair is ok until the hormones have another drop . Try Argan oil that's truly wonderful for your hair.
  • Posted

Yes I do my hair has thinned for last year it's made me sad ESP when lotscvof my friends have lovely hair that's thick and grows very fast , in fact i seem to be the only one of us that's suffering with it all tch. My skin and nails also dry and I seem to have aged years in one
    • Posted

Debi..................does the hair loss stop, mine has gone dry and brittle but, hasnt fell out yet, im post is it likely to happen afterwards does anyone know?? im dreading that, after coming through it all and i lose the hair..............the thought  reminds me of a comedy sketch on tv in england, where a comedian called Jasper Carrott, who did a sketch on a man who wore a very badly fitting black wig, which everyone can relate too, and the sketch was entitled Wiggie!!.......................nooooooooooooo!! 
    • Posted

I feel just the same about ageing. I feel and look like a totally different person to the one I was a year ago. I feel itchy quite alot as well, and the menopausal bloat is a complete nightmare.  I try very hard to not put on weight and eat such a restricted diet that its tough to get any enjoyment out of food. Wrinkly neck, sagging eyelids - maybe I'm overreacting. My husband says I still look very good, but my self esteem is at rock bottom.

I've signed up to do some volunteer work as from next week, as this self absorpsion is getting ridiculous!......

• Posted

Yes the hair doesn't continually shed it does still seem to be replacing a bit . it really scared me to start with but wen you accept that it will thin rasther than over worry it gets better. I use the thickening shampoos and dontvwash my hair so often .
    • Posted

Ditto. Your husband sounds supportive like mine so that's great. Voluntary work is good all helps
  • Posted

My hair is horrible very dry and brittle. It  also was another menopausal "gift" I wear a wig, I got tired of dealing with it, I wash it use conditioner and put on the wig,.
  • Posted

Hi Ursula, You too? Oh my gosh, my hair has been like straw and really thinning, no body either.Im really hoping to find something to change this. Don't know how old you are, I'm 57, but my Dr says it is almost the #1 complaint from women going through meno. Yikes! We are not alone in this.

Bet you are still beautiful thoughsmile Take Care

• Posted

Oh thanks Lisa. Thats really nice of you.  

I have just turned 54, and my periods stopped about a year ago. Apart from the thinning hair, my body shape does seem to be changing. My boobs have got a bit smaller - which I dont mind, and my waistline has spread  a bit, so I am more tubular - despite the fact I excercise and diet alot.  All these changes are quite alarming, but I suppose we just have to do our best to stay fit and healthy, and then we know we are doing everything we reasonably can.....

Take care as well.

• Posted

my hair went really dry and brittle  matted  and was just awfal and after trying many prouducts  i found one that really put my hair back to normal , i get it from morrisons alberto balsam coconut and lycee  shampoo £1 a bottle and the coconut and lychee conditioner also £1 a bottle ive never used cheep hair products before this and  i can say how my hair has improved so much .. hope this helps 
    • Posted

Thanks Lorraine. I have used alberto balsan conditioner in the past and liked it. So ok I'll that and the shampoo a go. At that price, if it helps, thats brilliant.
    • Posted

use a little extra of the condintioner than you useually do ,if hair long like mine and leave in for a little longer too , plus it smells great for a cheep  shampoo and condintoner  , hope it works for you too smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.