Dry, burning mouth

Posted , 3 users are following.

Anyone else have burning right inside the lips and tip of tongue?

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Could be burning mouth syndrome. I was diagnosed with this though wasn't given much advice of dealing with it. I find keeping the mouth moist and sticking to a blander diet can help. Also avoid toothpaste with SLS in it. I think it sometimes goes away itself eventually. I've had it about a year now but feel it's not quite as bad as it was to start with.

• Posted

Thank you Elaine just thought maybe it goes with menopause, wasnt sure.I've been to see the doctor but no answers, BMS is what they told me too, switched my tooth paste without that in it also. Anxiety high because diabetes run in the family, hope its not that.

• Posted

Elaine is yours more at the front, like right inside your lips and burns pretty good too?
    • Posted

It's mainly my tongue that burns and my lips feel tingly. I does get you stressed as you're aware of it all the time. I've been listening to relaxation CDs and find they really help relax you and take your mind of it. My dentist thought it might be BMS and told me to see my doctor who'd never heard of it and told me to go back to the dentist. I eventually got diagnosed at a dental hospital but they were no help at all. The man was really horrible. When I asked what I could do to help it he said 'nothing - it's just your age!!!'. Another thing that can cause tingling/burning in the mouth is vitamin B12/iron deficiency. My doctor checked me for this but my levels were OK. It might be worth getting a blood test to get these checked. Try not to worry too much as stress will make your mouth dry which will make it worse.

• Posted

Yep had all those blood tests done too,my folic acid and b12 were high, too high which I thought maybe was the reason for the burning but still have the burning even after stopping the vitamins. Yeah no help from my doctor either, might see the dentist see what they might offer me. Tooth paste without those ingredients didn't do it but I'll continue to use it. If I learn anything from my dentist I'll let you know. Thank you

• Posted

Hi Cindy! I've been diagnosed in April with BMS .

It's almost a year now. Very easy now. Chewing gum helps a lot. It's not food related. Hormones / stress. The Doctors don't know it clear but definitely ladies get it more than men 😕 and around menopause 😉.

I was so stressed. It took a long time to figure out but I'm getting better ?.

Blessings

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.