Dry cough that tastes like blood

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have developed a slightly irritating dry cough that tastes like blood. I read that heart disease can cause this because the heart doesnt remove fluid from the lungs and ankles, I also get swollen ankles.

If this was a result of a failing heart, wouldnt it be a wet cough?

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Yes, CHF or congestive heart failure would cause a very wet cough, and you would have a hard time breathing while lying down. You would also get tired very quickly, short of breath, and yes, peripheral edema that is pitting. Meaning you can poke it and your finger will leave an indentation that will stay for a while. Does your ankle edema go away if you elevate you legs for a couple of hours? Have you coughed up any blood? or just tasting blood? This is very important. Coughing up blood, not a streak or two but actual blood in a fair amount, is an emergency situation. You have to rule out pulmonary embolism. Heart failure can be treated and managed. PE can be treated also but if it travels, it can kill you. And Heart disease is a colection of diseases of the heart. Your edema could also be due to bad vavles in your veins. and tasting blood could be in your head, literally, a smell or taste that your brain thinks it's smelling or tasting in association with past memory. I'm not a Doctor, but I am an RN. This is not profesional medical advice, just my opinion from my experience as a nurse. non productive coughs are not good, but doesn't mean something horrible, could be tasting blood because you're coughing really hard and making your throat bleed a bit. Go to your GP and get it checked is what I would do

• Posted

Hi, my ankles and lower legs swell up quite considerably and retain a deep finger hole when pressed, when I wake in the morning my legs have returned to normal.

The coughing is a dry irritating cough, at the time it wasnt bad enough to have caused an injury that would have caused the blood taste, but now it is but I no longer get the blood taste. It is a dry cough that produces very little.

The cough has gotten so bad that for two night running I could get no sleep, every few breaths would put me into a coughing frenzy, so yesterday I went to my GP as over the counter mediciences did nothing to help.

My GP thinks it is the Sotalol as it can cause a bad cough and my lungs sound clear otherwise so told me not to take anymore so now I have stopped the Sotalol and await how much worst the Sotalol has made my heart Arrhythmia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.